Homemade Incubator; hope it works!

Cherlyn

Songster
10 Years
Feb 24, 2009
Alconbury, England
Took about 20 mins to make from start to finish.

23594_img_3737.jpg

23594_img_3738.jpg

~Cherlyn

does it have a water tray in there somewhere and does the flourescent light keep a stable temp in there. needs to be about 99 degrees in there or better. with no fan its reccomended to be about 100-101

This looks the same as mine except have made a wire tray for the eggs. i use damp rags for humidity and fitted a dimmer switch so i could regulate the temperature. Day 20 and 6 out of the 10 eggs are rocking n rolling so i cant see why it wont
fl.gif
good luck

Nope, just some sponges, but I am going to swap those out right now for a small water tray. I am using an 11-watt lightbulb and the temp is holding steady at 100 degrees.

~Cherlyn

yeah, that's very lucky good for you who stayed in country that power company didn't get power outages like my country. as my country always got power failure at least once a day for 4 hours I'm constructed my incubator made from triplex( i don't know the english, maybe also called triplex in english). also space for candle/kerosene lamp. can you imagine if you constructed incubator from "Styrofoam" and place candle/kerosene lamp under it, I do believe the incubator will melt 1 minute after you light those candles when power outages happen.
this is mine when power failure happen:

38691_image009.jpg

Last edited:
That's amazing mulia. I had never thought about kerosene lamps. Have you hatched with this before? I would think you have to ventilate since the flame will take up oxygen. I'm interested to see if it works since I don't have a backup power source if I lose power. Let us know how it goes. Also, in what country do you live?
Cherlyn, as long as you're maintaining 100 degrees and humidity levels up to 40 to 50% you should be fine. I have a homemade still air incubator I made out of a wood box with metal and glass cabinet door, and I turn the eggs by hand. It works but the temp and humidity level drops when I turn so I throw a white towel over it to bring the temp back up faster. I'm surprised only an 11 watt bulb is heating it adequately but if it's working, great! I have two 15 watt incandecent bulbs, two 7.5 watt christmas bulbs and a 25 watt bulb enclosed in a plastic tube to heat my water pan for humidity but also adds heat for the temp. It's holding steady at 99.7 - 100.5 in four zones and humity at 50%.

36856_dsc_0001.jpg

Last edited:
Quote:
I live in Indonesia, a country in which you will have a nightmare when trying to incubate eggs cause the power failure happen everyday for 4 hours, sometimes like yesterday (my first time incubate and first day for my eggs) I got 8 hours power outages.

never, I just build the incubator 6 days ago . yes, I opened the doors located on top widely to enable carbon dioxide to get out. I'm afraid that my eggs can't survive cause the power outages always happen, glad I'm at home everyday since I'm at "holiday" from campus now till the new terms open so I can keep my eggs at right temp when power outages happen.

I really think people outside my country didn't need backup cause many country have good reputation on their power company, except mine.

let's hope my eggs can survive in this harsh situation.
jumpy.gif

pop.gif
I'll be putting coturnix eggs in my homemade incubator next week. I'll be watching this thread! Will you post updates?

Looks good...what kind of bulb are you using?

@emily3guppies : I'm sorry emily, not mean to rude, but who are you asking about bulb and updates? once more sorry if there are bad word. not trying to offense anyone. oh, sorry if my grammar bad, english is not my mother language.

I was asking the original poster about her bulb. No problem!

Although, I do think it's amazing that you have a candle-heated incubator! Will your hens not brood your eggs for you, Mulia? Do you have extra air holes in the incubator for the air the candles use?

No worries about your English. I'm a lone english-speaker among a family of french-speaking people, so I understand a small part of your frustration.

Back
Top Bottom