1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Homemade incubator liner? :)

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Amy's Animals, Jan 19, 2010.

1. Amy's Animals

Amy's Animals Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 8, 2009
    Southern Oregon
    I got this idea after seeing some ads featuring incubators with disposable liners, maybe you've seen ones like it or own one. So I was thinking, could I make my own? After a particularly messy hatch, I learned that it is virtually impossible to clean styrofoam! Liners would make it so much more easy!
    I have a very basic, Little Giant "still air", incubator. I was thinking of taking the wire rack out (were the eggs lay upon) and dump the water out of the water tray and line the entire bottom with saran wrap, including the water trays, and just fill the water trays back up on top of the saran wrap. Then, when the hatch is over with, grab the saran by the corners and just pull it out and dispose of it and line is with a fresh liner of saran wrap. Has anyone ever tried this idea or one similar to it? Does it work? Thank you [​IMG]

2. weirdmuse

weirdmuse Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 18, 2008
    Southwest Ohio
    Wow, sounds great! I'll bet the new type of wrap that sticks to itself would be even better. I'll be trying this on my next bator load.

3. rrhall

rrhall Out Of The Brooder

Dec 16, 2009
    SouthWest,Ohio
    Sounds like a great idea,I would not know why it would not work.Just make sure you are not covering up any vent holes if there are any on the bottom of the incubator.I was thinking there were a few holes on the bottom of a LG incubator for ventilation but I'm not totally sure. Good Luck!

4. dovecanyon

dovecanyon Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 15, 2009
    Niland, CA
    LG's have holes in the bottom that must not be covered. The liners you can purchase have these holes as well.

5. Amy's Animals

Amy's Animals Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 8, 2009
    Southern Oregon
    so then ill puncture the saran wrap above those holes [​IMG]

6. sojono

sojono Out Of The Brooder

Jul 25, 2009
    columbia
    If i was going to use saran wrap i would put the wire mesh back in so chicks would not be standing and walking on the slick saran just a thought to prevent spraddle leg.sojono.

7. quenston

quenston Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 19, 2009
    Wyandotte Ok
    Quote:I think that she was saying that she would take the wire out and then put it back in after she had the saran wrap put down, but at any point that sounds great and I am gonna try it, I set my next batch in about 5 days!!

8. PandoraTaylor

PandoraTaylor RT Poultry n Things

Jun 29, 2009
    Alaska
    let us know if this works. I have 2 lg that really need liners.

9. quenston

quenston Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 19, 2009
    Wyandotte Ok
    I really dont know why it wouldnt work, instead of puncturing the holes in the saran wrap I am just going to cut a circle out so that the saran wrap wont be able to possibly block the holes during incubation.

10. thumbless

thumbless Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 30, 2009
    Mesa AZ
    Quote:I pluged my holes on the bottom and it has not affected my hatches

I did this so I could fill the whole bottom with water

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by