Homemade Yogurt **Updated** Cheese and Buttermilk

Quote:
If you like greek yougurt try this. When your yougurt is ready pour it into cheese cloth and hang it to drain for a couple of hours. If your cheese cloth is not butter muslin and had larger holes you will want to double or triple it by folding. After draining you might want to stir it well to smooth it. A dollop of honey and YUM YUM

You reminded me of kefir. I just ordered some grains.

I'm lactose intolerant and I remember that I could use kefir for smoothies and the like without any ill effects.

I made batch #2 this morning. I added 1/2 c. sugar, and 2 TBSP vanilla. to 2 qrts. I tasted the left over conconction and it was mighty tasty! I cant wait to see how it turns out. It will obviously have more "bite" to it once finished. My kids just cant do the plain. They did gobble it up pretty good with some homeade applesauce and some honey. But looking for something a little more ready straight from the jar for quickness sake.

Hey everyone!

I've been tossing around the idea of trying cheese/yogurt making. Found a kit online, and I was wondering if anyone could advise on whether it'd be a good one to try. Does it have everything... if not what else I need. Is it a good price? Is there a better kit on some other site?

http://www.thecheesemaker.com/hardcheese.htm is the one I'm looking at... if anyone has a moment to take a peek that'd be awesome!

sorry, can't help you on the "kit" but if you follow Miss Prissy's step-by-step directions/pics you will see how easy it is to make fresh yogurt. Good luck!!

Quote:
Yogurt is pretty easy enough to make without a kit, but I've never tried to make hard cheese. I'd advise you to look around for other kits or at least do a search on the kit components to see how much they usually go for. Books and online resources are also probably the best way to start. I definitely did a lot of reading before I started pickling so you can pick up some on the cheap (used on amazon isn't bad), or see if your library has any. Also, depending on where you live, you might be able to find a local cheesemaking class or resources. Also, university extension offices can be a good source of information.

Last edited:
I found a source for home cheese making several years ago, and I've found that if they don't have it, you don't need it...

New England Cheese Making Co.

http://www.cheesemaking.com/

I bought one of their books, made myself a cheese press, and have turned out a couple of Gouda cheese balls in the spring for several years running that were simply outstanding by Thanksgiving. One of my Nephews ate his way into 2 days of constipation when he plowed through most of a 2 pound smoked gouda by himself one Thanksgiving...

Try that website and see what you think. They ship fast and are very reliable.

wink.png

I've not yet made my first hard cheese ....other than mozzarella.... i find great recipes from fiasco farms and some other locales.

We have goat milk here and i used greek yogurt as my starter....i can send you a recipe if you need.

Has anyone made the cheddar cheese with goat's milk.

Also, if anyone needs kefir grains, we have some and i'll be glad to share.

Have a blessed day.

Agree that newenglandcheesemaking.com is an excellent resource.

I'm fond of their double strength liquid rennet.

let me know if you need help with recipes.

Back
Top Bottom