Homesteaders

Just real quick. The new PP magazine has a pictuer of the vet removing junk from an impacted crop. I looks as though they were removing a hair clog from a drain. This is what it says.

"Impacted crop can be prevented by adjusting feeding and providing access to grit" - quote.

I have suggested that it is important to feed birds "Insoluble" grit. Gran it Grit comes in three types. I like to keep a supply in a black rubber tub. For the price of $11 you can prevent problems and in my mind it is worth it. Remember "an ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure"
Be well,
Rancher

Hey guys and ladies! Great news. In process of hatching my first batch of 11 Easter Eggs. Also finally have one of my Black Australorps started laying.
I also took 4 roosters in to be slaughtered. One was mean to the other chickens and one would not stop crowing. Other 2 were smallish Blakc Australorps so culled to improve my flock.
Found out the hard way that freshly killed chickens should rest in fridge for 2 to 3 days. Roasted one I'd frozen and it was like chewing on a truck tire. Although it was an incredibly tasty tire. I'm hoping if I remove them from freezer and let thaw in fridge for a couple of days they will be tender. Will also brine and if all else fails will use my slow cooker to cook them. (Dogs were thrilled to get the meat off the last one)
Things are looking up here on my little holding. Chickens are laying and hatching and now have fresh meat and eggs at least for a while.
Plan was to trim back the three apple trees going wild in my yard but now have to have hernia surgery so that isn't going to happen this year. Bummed because I could season the wood and then build or buy a smoker to maybe smoke some chickens in the future.
My blueberries didn't give me any fruit this year. Either from moving or critters.
Still very happy I now have 6 grown EE's, 4 Australorps, 4 Silver Ameracauna juveniles, and now a batch of baby EE's.

@combatfuzzball Great progress! Hope your hernia surgery goes well, and you are quickly back to full steam.

Resting and cooling your birds after slaughter is important. Freeze after they cool completely. I found Fergus Henderson's book "The Whole Beast, Nose to Tail Eating" to be an invaluable reference for things like this. Lots of good butchery info.

I can't wait for my first eggs! By Thanksgiving I expect to be in eggs to my elbows.

Sounds like progress is taking place.
How many blue berry bushes do you need to get enough for a few cups. Though I do like to freeze them and put them in smoothies. I only have two.......so far. Having a hard time deciding where to plant them.

AND my Pink Lady apple tree. No apples again on my Granny Smith.

Seems like in the past, the fruit and nut trees would have good crops every other or every third year. Now it seems like its more every fourth or fifth year. Is it just me? We had tons of pecans last year, so I'm not surprised to see much less on the trees this year. Even fewer acorns this year than last.

Our ancient pear tree, or what's left of it, had eight pears last year. Had two set this year, but a late freeze took them, so none now. Probably it's last year anyway. I think I'll pull it out this fall to make room for something else.

I wonder if producing fruit takes something out of the trees and they need a rest? I wish our fish and wildlife game law would require every seventh year a no fish year. Maybe start with an every fourth year of rest for the waters.
It's why I don't push my hens to lay heavy during the winter. They need a rest.

I bought a wooden bee house today at TSC. I should look to learn how to build some and hang them around the yard. I've read all about Bumbles and there are places for them to live. I have seen more than a few. I'm dealing with ground hornets in my garden. Same thing last year. I think if I worked it more often I might avoid them.

Back
Top Bottom