Homing advice for my chicks

Blackberrysilkie

In the Brooder
Jun 3, 2020
I got two more chicks for my one chick they are in my 20 gallon tank and I was wondering if that’s okay size and if so how long could they live in it? What are chick coop ideas and homing ideas for when they’re older and growing ?
871982A1-2E14-426D-9C49-F199353F3D78.jpeg

oldhenlikesdogs

Suffering Succotash
BYC Staff
Premium Feather Member
5 Years
Jul 16, 2015
Wisconsin
I would find something bigger as soon as possible. Is this a 20 long tank? After the first few days chicks need room to run and to escape the heat lamp heat.

Tre3hugger

Let Your Freak Flag Fly
Mar 21, 2020
NW Massachusetts
Um, why start researching housing AFTER you bu y animals? Didn't think these baBies would grow up? There is a wonderful archive of co-op examples in the articles section of the website. I suggest you stArt there.

amk122284

Songster
May 11, 2020
Northern Indiana
How long before they’re in a coup do u know any good coups that have 3 nesting boxes with a run

You would only need 1 or 2 nesting boxes. You will want them in more space in the next couple days. For now I would get a big dog kennel or similar asap, block the sides with cardboard because they will most likely be able to slip through the bars at this size.

4-6 weeks is pretty common to move to actual coop.

Blackberrysilkie

In the Brooder
Jun 3, 2020
You would only need 1 or 2 nesting boxes. You will want them in more space in the next couple days. For now I would get a big dog kennel or similar asap, block the sides with cardboard because they will most likely be able to slip through the bars at this size.

4-6 weeks is pretty common to move to actual coop.

Thanks I found a coup I want and I will do that in the meantime ASAP I found the one outside in the st and now just trying to give her the very best

Blackberrysilkie

In the Brooder
Jun 3, 2020
Um, why start researching housing AFTER you bu y animals? Didn't think these baBies would grow up? There is a wonderful archive of co-op examples in the articles section of the website. I suggest you stArt there.

i found her in the st and now just trying to give her the very best ...............

BigBlueHen53

We will get through this... together!
Mar 5, 2019
SE Missouri, USA
Chickens will share a nest. It's good to have more than one so they can choose, but chances are they will have a favorite and all use the same one. They will not start laying eggs until they are at least 4 to 6 months old, though. What do you mean when you say you found her in the "st"?

They do need a much bigger box right away. You need to raise the heat lamp or they will get too hot and may get sick and die. Do you have a thermometer to measure the heat on the floor under the lamp? It should be about 90°F the first week. Then lower it 5° a week until it reaches 70-75°, then they won't need it any more during the day. They need a big enough box to be able to get away from the heat if they want to.

Blackberrysilkie

In the Brooder
Jun 3, 2020
Chickens will share a nest. It's good to have more than one so they can choose, but chances are they will have a favorite and all use the same one. They will not start laying eggs until they are at least 4 to 6 months old, though. What do you mean when you say you found her in the "st"?

They do need a much bigger box right away. You need to raise the heat lamp or they will get too hot and may get sick and die. Do you have a thermometer to measure the heat on the floor under the lamp? It should be about 90°F the first week. Then lower it 5° a week until it reaches 70-75°, then they won't need it any more during the day. They need a big enough box to be able to get away from the heat if they want to.

Thankyou I will do that now :)

MANNA-PRO

Top Bottom