Honeydew melon for chicks

mine are about 5 weeks old --- i've been giving them table scraps lately

today was leftover taco salad .... probably half a gallon ... they enjoyed it very much ... i just put it in a dog dish like their starter and their grit ..... they pick what they feel like eating and eat it

If you want to give them treats maybe pick something with less sugar like spinach or something else leafy green. It's not that you should not ever give it but more of how much you give. Jolly ranchers are awesome (for people) but whole bags everyday make them a bad thing
wink.png
Mine get leftover toast and frozen mixed veg straight outta the freezer or I will grab a handful of grapes and throw it to like 30 chicks. It gives them something to play with but there really is not enough there for any one bird to get too much. Just some ideas there. You have not done any harm I am sure. Just remember no citrus, no raw onion, no avacado, and nothing with chocolate or cocoa products in it, oh and watch the salt.

Edit: My grammar sucks and I use double negatives and I say "and" and "but" too much.
roll.png

Last edited:
About the raw onion, I was always told that it has something that is toxic to chickens. I never researched it but I never give it. Sometimes I give something that has cooked onion in it so I could be totally offbase with the raw onion thing. I also left out raw potato peels. Those are toxic (the green ones)
Here is the link to the wonderful treat chart here on BYC at the bottom is a list of NO NOs.

https://www.backyardchickens.com/web/viewblog.php?id=2593-Treats_Chart

I give mine extra goat milk when I really don't feel like processing it. ALL of my chickens love it. My 4 week olds are getting it once or twice a week right along with my older chicks. They all are doing fine. They also get scraps and occasional fruit. They would get it in nature. I just don't give tons of it. We all tend to do things a bit differently and they usually do fine with the differences.

When they are older, they will LOVE melon seeds.

Now, I occasionally give mine a few grains of cooked rice. They will play tag over them.

Also, a couple shreds of shredded cheese. They will chase all over after them.

Catherine

Oh, and I forgot my favorite--mind you this was just one, and only about three inches long--I gave them a little piece of cooked spaghetti!

Oh boy, spaghetti tag! What fun!
big_smile.png

Catherine

Back
Top Bottom