Hoover’s new 2021 “Easter Eggers”

They are perfect, some of mine don't have a crest either, but most do..how old were yours when they started laying and how old in the pic? So eggciting
I just took the pic this evening. They're around 24 weeks. Started laying at about 21 weeks. Today we got 5 eggs. Waiting on one more to lay. They're really sweet girls. 💛 I am going to try to get individual pics that hopefully show their pretty feathers.

I just took the pic this evening. They're around 24 weeks. Started laying at about 21 weeks. Today we got 5 eggs. Waiting on one more to lay. They're really sweet girls. 💛 I am going to try to get individual pics that hopefully show their pretty feathers.
I can't wait to see them! Thanks for all your help btw

Just curious for any info, anecdotes, or pics of Hoover Hatchery’s “Easter Egger” chickens, new for 2021?

https://hoovershatchery.com/easteregger.html

I am well aware that Hoover’s is sneaky and has “Americana” which confuses so many people and these are not purebred Ameraucana chickens. Really the “Americana” are Easter Eggers - hybrids. But now they have a separate ‘breed’ called “Easter Eggers” in addition to the Americana.

I do have the Americana, and, now, two of these EE chicks. One is blue with slate legs and one is light yellow with black on the growing wing feathers and orange legs. Neither have cheeks, beards, or crests that I can tell.

Any information on these European Grunleger (two dots over the u) chickens Hoover’s mentions in the description? I can’t seem to find much.

Our Easter Eggers are a combination of the traditional American Easter Eggers, which typically has a pea comb, beard and green legs, along with the European version of Easter Eggers, which are called Grünleger, which typically have yellow legs, a single comb, and commonly a tuft on its head. The Grünleger are a hybrid cross between a commercial type Legbar, and brown egg laying hens, therefore unlike the American Easter Egger, they will not breed true, with only a portion of the offspring laying colored eggs. Overall, the Easter Eggers typically lay colored eggs, but up to 15% of the time you will have one that lays brown or cream eggs.”
So I found info that said grunleger means 'green layer' so they are a traditional Americana ee mixed with a green layer
Yay I finally found something..I wonder what our eggs will look like, I'm guessing lots of green

therefore unlike the American Easter Egger, they will not breed true”

I was unaware that EE will breed true as I thought they were a mix?

I got my “Americana” chicks back in April of last year through TSC/Hoover. They claimed they were Ameraucana and Araucana cross at that time. All of ours have pea combs and blue/gray legs. One doesn’t have a fluffy face though. Of the 7 we have, we get probably 5 blue/green eggs and 2 pink/brown ones.

The “new” version just sounds like they’re trying to make it sound more boujie 😜 the Grünleger is a legbar mix. So they’re just crossing EE with EE to get different(aka new) EE 🙄😂
Legbars are a distinct breed, see link below:
https://www.wideopenpets.com/everything-you-need-to-know-about-the-cream-legbar-chicken/

I am guessing 2 things: Hoover wanted to add in some more blue egg color genes, and then also to get some 'crests' as crested chicks are becoming more popular (read:new different, 'boujie' a selling point). Legbars are also auto-sexing, however I doubt that this 'barnyard mix' would auto-sex reliably.

I got my “Americana” chicks back in April of last year through TSC/Hoover. They claimed they were Ameraucana and Araucana cross at that time. All of ours have pea combs and blue/gray legs. One doesn’t have a fluffy face though. Of the 7 we have, we get probably 5 blue/green eggs and 2 pink/brown ones.

The “new” version just sounds like they’re trying to make it sound more boujie 😜 the Grünleger is a legbar mix. So they’re just crossing EE with EE to get different(aka new) EE 🙄😂
:lauAmericauna/Auracana cross:lau

They would reliably have beards and muffs if this was the case. My experience with my TSC-Hoover 'Americana' chicks purchased in the past is maybe 50/50 beard-muffs/clean faced. I will say, though, that all (a whole 4,as 2 of the 6 'pullets' turned out to be roos!) do lay blue or light green eggs. [3 blue, one light, seafoam type green]

18weeks 5 days first egg from legbar cross EE from ts or Hoover's I'm so excited 😆

Attachments

• PXL_20210904_201316403.jpg
    PXL_20210904_201316403.jpg
    296.8 KB · Views: 13

Back
Top Bottom