Hoovers canceling orders and forcing customers to the end of the line

Pics

Socalchickens1

In the Brooder
Jun 7, 2020
I placed an order through Hoover's Hatchery for shipping on February 1. They were informed by USPS on Jan 31st that they would not be able to ship. Instead of letting customer's know right away, they originally pushed my ship date out to February 2. Now I received a follow up email letting me know that they will be canceling my order and forcing us to reorder. I looked and the first available ship date is May 1.

I understand that they have challenges, but they should have just pushed everyone out instead of forcing customers this week to the end of the line. This is terrible customer service from Hoovers.

Email I received is below:

We were informed Tuesday morning that USPS would not allow us to ship orders via air freight this week due to inclement weather in Memphis, TN, which is the main shipping hub for USPS air shipments of live chicks. We at Hoover’s Hatchery made every effort this week to ship your order, but unfortunately there were not any options that would ensure the well-being of the chicks in transit.

Due to the increasing egg prices and egg shortages, we have experienced a surge in demand, causing us to be sold out all the way through the end of April (might change to May). With this in mind, we are not able to re-schedule your shipment for several months. We will be canceling your order and issuing you a full refund.

You should be receiving an email confirming the cancelation and a refund going back on the card you used to place the order. You are welcome to visit our website and re-order on the next available ship date.

Please understand that due to high call volumes, this is the most efficient way for you to reschedule your order. You are welcome to call our customer service team, but please understand that hold times have been very long and we are doing everything that we can to help our customers through this difficult time. If you wish to communicate with us, email is the most efficient way and we will answer your email as soon as we can.

We greatly appreciate your business and are very sorry for the inconvenience that this has caused.

Thank you so much for your patience and understanding during this time.

The Hoover's Hatchery Team

Frankly, it sounds reasonable to me.
You can't-t ship chicks in a polar vortex, they'd likely die, not shipping them is the responsible thing to do.
since the essential yolk sack will be gone by the time the vortex passes, they can't ship.

"but they should have just pushed everyone out instead of forcing customers this week to the end of the line. This is terrible customer service from Hoovers."
No, it isn't.
It's reasonable that they not steal chicks from later scheduled orders to fulfill earlier scheduled orders. 'Robbing peter to pay paul".
They've done what they could and offered the only logical option, it's unreasonable and a bit selfish to complain about 'poor customer service' when they've done what they could and to suggest that other people not get their chicks so you can get yours.
I had the same thing happened last year when mcmurray had to cancel my order for bird flu, it's frustrating to change plans but it will work out fine.
If you're set on an earlier ship date, try Mt. Healthy, they have fairly open ship dates still.

This is terrible customer service from Hoovers.
I understand your frustration and empathize with you. :barnie

I would move onto another hatchery or even feed store.. chick days at TSC is starting soon.. which is where a good number of the Hoover chicks will be going. My other local feed stores also start carrying chicks around the first of Feb. Maybe call around and see if they know what breeds they'll be getting in.

I've had good luck with Cackle, and Meyers, even Ideal but the Ideal birds are lower quality in MY experience.Are you looking for something specific.maybe we can help you find, since your original plan didn't come to fruition?

Hope you find some to your liking soon! :fl

but they should have just pushed everyone out instead of forcing customers this week to the end of the line
Frustrating, yes. But by doing that, they would be inconveniencing 1000's? of customers instead of the 100's? that had ordered for that window. Not to mention the commercial contracts, though those were probably already separated.

I sympathize, that sort of thing is very frustrating.

If they move every order a week later, it would be difficult for people who ordered specific weeks because they really need that specific week, rather than any week. Things like getting the chicks when they can work from home or have time off. Or needing the chicks able to be outside before a wedding... many reasons.

Frankly, it sounds reasonable to me.
You can't-t ship chicks in a polar vortex, they'd likely die, not shipping them is the responsible thing to do.
since the essential yolk sack will be gone by the time the vortex passes, they can't ship.

"but they should have just pushed everyone out instead of forcing customers this week to the end of the line. This is terrible customer service from Hoovers."
No, it isn't.
It's reasonable that they not steal chicks from later scheduled orders to fulfill earlier scheduled orders. 'Robbing peter to pay paul".
They've done what they could and offered the only logical option, it's unreasonable and a bit selfish to complain about 'poor customer service' when they've done what they could and to suggest that other people not get their chicks so you can get yours.
I had the same thing happened last year when mcmurray had to cancel my order for bird flu, it's frustrating to change plans but it will work out fine.
If you're set on an earlier ship date, try Mt. Healthy, they have fairly open ship dates still.
Did I ask for them to ship chicks into a polar vortex? The issue isn't even the weather necessarily, it is the canceled USPS flights out of Memphis. Pushing back all orders is standard practice in all industries when there is a delay.
Its funny that you mention McMurray - they are actually doing exactly what I suggested and pushing orders back a week.

Here is the message that McMurray sent out to their customers. This is the way that I have seen all other hatcheries handling the situation:

BABY CHICK UPDATE!
🐥
🐥
🐥
ICYMI an ice storm across the south this week cancelled all USPS flights and halted chick deliveries. Here are some updates on where you an get our unshipped chicks and other important news:
Our team just dropped off a ton of McMurray Hatchery baby chicks — amazing layers and Cornish Cross — at the Bomgaars in Webster City! They will be split between the Webster City, Fort Dodge, and Algona Bomgaars locations! A huge thanks to the team at Bomgaars for helping us out with all these extra chicks! So head up to these three Bomgaars locations and grab some amazing breeds while they last!
If you aren't nearby, check out the other bird shippers and hatcheries in your area. Many are having local flash sales for their unshipped chicks, ducklings, pheasants, quail, etc.
For our customers whose orders were affected, please check your email/text/voicemail for updates on your order. Most orders have been automatically moved to next week. Also, you can update your order by logging in to our website if needed.

I sympathize, that sort of thing is very frustrating.

If they move every order a week later, it would be difficult for people who ordered specific weeks because they really need that specific week, rather than any week. Things like getting the chicks when they can work from home or have time off. Or needing the chicks able to be outside before a wedding... many reasons.
I am in the same boat. I ordered early in the season so that I could have the chicks ready to go by summer when we are away on vacation. Pushing back the order a week wouldn't have affected our plans but pushing it back 3 months does.

Yeah, these hatcheries are in a hard position. The eggs were set 3 weeks ago, they did not know the polar vortex was coming. The chicks have to be shipped within 24 hours of hatching by regulations, otherwise they will probably die during shipment so they cannot be held over. So they have tens of thousands of chicks on hand and nowhere to take them. Credit to McMurray for trying to do something with some of theirs, the layers and meat birds.

Different hatcheries are handling it different ways. Hoover's is making a clean break. Cancel all orders so next week's and the weeks further down the line are not affected. McMurray's is delaying this week's shipments for a week. That means a lot of people who have orders in for next week will not get their chicks. I don't know how many weeks this will cascade down or how many customers will have their orders disrupted while this sorts itself out. Both methods are going to be disruptive.

When I order chicks I often put some eggs in the incubator so I can raise them together. I don't have the facilities so I can brood two broods at the same time so I'd have to rely on being able to integrate them successfully. Often that works but sometimes it doesn't. I've set eggs to hatch or ordered chicks so the timing coincides with other events in my life. Delaying a week or having to start over with the order are both disruptive.

Two independent small businesses chose to handle this disruption which is not their fault in two different ways. I don't consider either one poor customer service. They chose to deal with this weather related disaster in two different ways.

The issue isn't even the weather necessarily, it is the canceled USPS flights out of Memphis.
Actually it is the weather. Those flights would not have been cancelled if it were not for the weather.

The eggs were set 3 weeks ago, they did not know the polar vortex was coming.
Even a three week delay would have been better than what they did. There is a three month delay to the next ship date. They are treating it as if we never ordered. I've never seen any industry where a production issue has been handled the way they are handling it.

Back
Top Bottom