Hoping better luck with 4-week-old Buff Orpington and Barred Rock - UPDATED @ 6 WEEKS WITH PICS

Adenium

Songster
7 Years
Jan 28, 2012
Connecticut
So, it looks like I have a roo for my Partridge Rock, but my other two standards seem hen-like to me. I'm hoping for confirmation, though I realize it's a bit early. Here they are:

Last edited:
#1 is a pullet, but the BR throws me off some, it's dark in some spots and light in other spots. But most likely a roo if that comb and the wattles keep growing.

Nooooooooooo!!!! The BR was the one I was slightly confident on being a pullet! I thought she looked overall darker than all the "cockerel" predictions I've seen, everywhere but the chest feathers. And she has a really dark wash on her legs. And, and, I just can't handle two of my 3 being roos! Watch my husband's 4 silkies all turn out to be pullets.

Wow. Maybe I shouldn't have posted them all in one evening. I am very very sad right now. But once again, thank you for the input. I do appreciate it. At least it looks like I'll have one normal-egg-laying chicken out of the bunch.

Don't loose all hope. How old is your barred rock? My barred rock pullet developed a comb much faster than my other pullets the same age. She was the only BR I had, so I don't know if it was the breed or just her. But yours looks dark so I'm not convinced she is a he. I also am NOT an expert.
idunno.gif

They are all 4 weeks plus one day.

I'm hoping, since I don't really see wattles and her comb is still yellow, that I'm OK. I guess I'll know for sure in another week or two? If the comb stays yellow then I'm safe?

I'm just so befuddled. She feathered out really fast, and I thought that was another pullet indicator. Ugh. Time to go to bed. This has been a sad night.

He/she looks like my pullets looked at 4 weeks. I was convinced they were roos, but after reading and looking through posts on BYC, I decided to wait until they were 5 or 6 weeks as it should be obvious by then. I am a first time chicken owner so I am not an expert, but mine were marked like yours at that age. they are now 9 weeks old and definitely pullets. I will cross my fingers for you!

IF that is a pure Barred Rock, it is a pullet. BR pullets have combs like that. By 4 weeks old, BR males have bigger and red combs already, not to mention the much lighter overall color (if it's pure). Trust me, have grown out hundreds of them.

This is a 5 week old BR cockerel--see what I mean?

Last edited:
I think the barred rock is a pullet. I have three barred rock pullets and they all looked the same at that age.

These three pullets were slightly over six weeks of age when the image was taken. Their combs are already fairly large. A cockerel's comb would be much larger.

BTW, this is Blanche, Dorothy and Sophia!

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom