Hoping she didn't break her leg

Can you tell if there is bruising, or is it just the blue kote?

If the legs are ok, I would expect her to recover fine. I have a hen that is missing a few toes, and she does just fine, roosts and scratches and all. (they were gone when i got her, I suspect frostbite, but don't know, may have been an injury)

I think the Epsom salt soaks are a great idea, increase circulation, even massaging may help, if she can tolerate it. She's beautiful!

She does have a few spots that look possibly brusied to me, but she has those greenish legs too and I really don't know what a chicken bruise would look like. It also looks slightly swollen to me but not to my husband, especially right at the ankle area. I've been trying really hard to remember if it was the inside or outside toe that got stuck, I'm about 75% certian it was the inside but she had herself twisted pretty good when I found her. I know the one spot (looks like she might have lost a scale) on the outside of her leg got scraped pretty good as well as various small abrasions on both the leg and top and bottom sides of her foot. She's still really tender when using that foot mostly avoids it. But she did escape me yesterday when i was trying to check her and again today in the house. She only gets about 5-10 feet before she has to lay down so i imagine any pressure on that foot is still cuasing a lot of pain.

I will see about giving her a warm Epsom bath tomorrow. It's more a matter of when i can as the other chicken will want let out and will storm the gate when I go to get her, and I've been having some issues with them hiding eggs if they don't stay locked up till after noon. The rose bush is not fun to dig eggs out off...

Good news she's putting intermediate amounts of weight on her hurt foot. Just enough to assist in balancing and a hobbled walk. I'll take it for now. She is still seperated though she isn't liking the mini pen right now.

In other news it's a sad day in the chicken coop Mildred our first hen (a lone stray my sister cuaght 4 years ago) passed away. I don't know what happened she was fine yesterday. I didn't see any activity that would lead me to check the chickens this morning besides the usual look and see.

Good news she's putting intermediate amounts of weight on her hurt foot. Just enough to assist in balancing and a hobbled walk. I'll take it for now. She is still seperated though she isn't liking the mini pen right now.

In other news it's a sad day in the chicken coop Mildred our first hen (a lone stray my sister cuaght 4 years ago) passed away. I don't know what happened she was fine yesterday. I didn't see any activity that would lead me to check the chickens this morning besides the usual look and see.

Good news and bad news. :hugs

So she's getting around better now, still hobbling but using her leg to walk consistently. I gave up putting her back in her own pen tonight. Every time I try to get in there to fill feed or water or check for eggs she is charging the door to get out. And it's not like she's truly seperated she's directly beside the main pen. She's just done and want's to be in the big coop with her flock. Anyways today you could even see the look on her face as she's trying to show me "see mom I'm fine" *step step hobble step. I'm going to let them all out early the next few days to free range so they have more space to avoid each other as i also have 3 I just put mounting aprons on.

So she's been free ranging with the flock for a grew days now. She's getting around really well but still has a limp. I think yesterday I noticed some discoloration on the sides of her injured leg, one of the spots looked like swelling. I went down to the coop this evening to catch her and examine her (I forgot to take my phone with me so i apologize for no pictures) the spot in the inside of her leg is actually on her foot and looks more like the scales dislodged but the skin likes normal otherwise. However the spot on the outside of her leg just above the ankle looks like a bumble foot type abscess. It's small right now and just white and swollen. Unfortunatly becuase of its location and having seen images on removing bumble abscess inn an not currently willing to attempt that. I will be talking to my husband but i think for now we will continue to just observe her.

I'm having trouble uploading the past picture. But it had been posted before. It the side view of her leg with the damaged scale sticking out, like like a white flake. That is the location of the abscess on her leg.

I’m glad to hear she’s improving and so sorry about your loss.
I have a1-year-oldhen that has limped for several months. You can really only detect the limp when she runs, and she’s living a happy life. She’s a bit low in the pecking order, but is doing great. Don’t get too discouraged if your girl’s limp takes awhile to go away. Good luck!

So she's been free ranging with the flock for a grew days now. She's getting around really well but still has a limp. I think yesterday I noticed some discoloration on the sides of her injured leg, one of the spots looked like swelling. I went down to the coop this evening to catch her and examine her (I forgot to take my phone with me so i apologize for no pictures) the spot in the inside of her leg is actually on her foot and looks more like the scales dislodged but the skin likes normal otherwise. However the spot on the outside of her leg just above the ankle looks like a bumble foot type abscess. It's small right now and just white and swollen. Unfortunatly becuase of its location and having seen images on removing bumble abscess inn an not currently willing to attempt that. I will be talking to my husband but i think for now we will continue to just observe her.

I'm having trouble uploading the past picture. But it had been posted before. It the side view of her leg with the damaged scale sticking out, like like a white flake. That is the location of the abscess on her leg.

I'm glad she's getting around better. The limp may take a while to go away. Definitely keep an eye on the foot. You can try the Epsom salt soaks for that and see if it helps.
I don't have any experience with bumble foot. But many peeps here have and I'm sure you will be able to get great advice on dealing with it if needed.

Back
Top Bottom