Horizontal nipple revolution! Need input

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by Allboutchickens, Mar 10, 2014.

1. Yes

5 vote(s)
    83.3%
  2. No

1 vote(s)
    16.7%
  1. Allboutchickens

Allboutchickens Just Hatched

Feb 6, 2014
    After manufacturing buckets with the vertical nipples I've transitioned to the horizontal nipples. I use them for my own backyard flock and will never go back to the old buckets and bowls. I'm wondering, however, why there seems to be concern about the horizontal nipples. Bird breeders in my area use them in their chick brooders as well as their adult bird enclosures and are very happy. However, I've read some posts here on BYC voicing concern that their birds might not be using them. ??? Thoughts? Have you tried horizontal nipples with your birds?

2. jetdog

jetdog Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 18, 2013
    Massachusetts
    [​IMG]
    They work great in Massachusetts, they were using them with in 2 minutes, thanks again.

3. pedoodle

pedoodle Out Of The Brooder

Sep 6, 2013
    Stockton, California
    Where can I find them???

4. Allboutchickens

Allboutchickens Just Hatched

Feb 6, 2014
    I can't sell anything on this forum but I can point you in the right direction. You can get the nipples for DIY projects on eBay. Just type in "horizontal nipples". There are four merchants my last count who sell them there, both finished products and the nipples only. Or, you could look up QCU Poultry directly if you want to bypass eBay. If you're ever in Utah, you can get the All'Bout Chickens horizontal nipple buckets and Baby Chick Bottles at IFA.
    You're welcome.

5. pedoodle

pedoodle Out Of The Brooder

Sep 6, 2013
    Stockton, California
    Thank you!

6. amandarc

amandarc Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 6, 2014
    Having trouble with 4 week old chicks using the horizontal ones. Maybe they can't peck as hard as an adult bird?

7. chad-o

chad-o Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 4, 2013
    As long as they are on a gravity fed system. They are getting more water than you think. Just because there is no gush of water or pool on the ground doesn't mean they are not drinking.

8. amandarc

Apr 6, 2014
    the horizontal nipples are showing loaded on the bottom side of the bucket. I am watching closely and just dont see them drinking...

9. amandarc

Apr 6, 2014
    Frustrated chicks.[​IMG]

10. chad-o

chad-o Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 4, 2013
    When you tap the nipple is water coming out?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by