Hormones a flaring..cracked beak?

Katanahamon

Songster
Jun 25, 2021
18 week old, 15 strong flock kept in large run. Fed all organic starter crumble, dark leafy greens, bsf larvae, watermelon, tomato, nutrition is great. Problem..they’re getting ready to lay, it’s been a super hot summer, today one of my Speckled Sussex was in the coop, I looked closer, looks like her top beak is cracked at the end. She was acting weird. One Bielefelders acted like she was stalking her..also weird, then noticed Bielefelders had a line of dried blood on her comb. What is this weirdness between two of the least dominant, sweet to me birds? I interact with them, make sure they have cool water, they are pampered. They have roosts in the run, can go under the coop for more shade, run is covered due to extreme heat. Do cracked beaks pose a big problem, or just something that happen..?

Well..since no one helped me, I researched, and waited. Tonight she was first in, or maybe stayed in the coop today, empty crop. I tried hand feeding some cottage cheese, but, she didn’t take much at all. I can’t tell how severely her beak is cracked, but I think she’s in pain. It is cracked perpendicularly, close to the end, luckily it’s not high up near the nostrils. I waited for darkness, got a flashlight and my Bondic UV glue pen. I got her off the roost, dropped a drop on the area, and zapped it. On hardening she felt something she didn’t like, but hopefully that helped her. I made sure I hadn’t glued her beak shut..then put her back on the roost..I’ll see tomorrow how she is, and maybe figure out what is going on..

Well..since no one helped me, I researched, and waited. Tonight she was first in, or maybe stayed in the coop today, empty crop. I tried hand feeding some cottage cheese, but, she didn’t take much at all. I can’t tell how severely her beak is cracked, but I think she’s in pain. It is cracked perpendicularly, close to the end, luckily it’s not high up near the nostrils. I waited for darkness, got a flashlight and my Bondic UV glue pen. I got her off the roost, dropped a drop on the area, and zapped it. On hardening she felt something she didn’t like, but hopefully that helped her. I made sure I hadn’t glued her beak shut..then put her back on the roost..I’ll see tomorrow how she is, and maybe figure out what is going on..
How did it go? My girl has a cracked beak and I’m wondering what to do for her

Back
Top Bottom