Horse had diarreah...what could cause this? **UPDATE**

Another note about this, I recommended this in PM to the OP, but in case anyone else here is new to horses and has an older horse like this. It is a very good idea to put them on senior's feed. The feed is broken down to make it easier to digest for geriatric horses. Personally I like Triple Crown Senior, but it is pricey. Its also a textured feed. Alot of people, including myself, do not like to feed textured, or sweet feeds, but something about Triple Crowns formula is awesome. I've brought rescue horses here and put them on this stuff and within weeks they would be back upto ideal condition. However, because of the cost, I don't feed it all the time. There are plenty of senior feeds on the market talk to your feedstore folks and find out what they have available.

I agree, I LOVE Triple Crown feeds. Well worth the cost. The Growth formula is great, as is the perfect 10. It IS textured sweet, but not bound with a bunch of molasses like most sweets are and with a soft pellet base and fewer whole (indigestable) grains.

I totally agree with getting a vet out and feeding a senior feed. One thing I also think should be checked since the horse lives in FL is the possibility of there being sand in the intestines. Sand will cause diarrhea.

HTH

Donna

If an older horse has teeth problems, it can cause stomach problems. Anything from unchewed food to bacteria draining down from an infected/decayed tooth.
SOmetimes, if the weather changes quickly, it can just throw their systems off. Some high strung horses do this as well. A good dose of ProBios will help if this is the case.

Sorry it took so long to post...things have been crazy around here. Been working at the family shop to help them get some huge orders out. Not to mention the culvert going out to the pasture has rotted away on top, so we have to get that replaced and bridge rebuilt. We finally got some, they will be starting that in the morning.

Anyway...shes still the same. It doesnt seem to faze her, just icky looking. Ill be getting a vet out, not awhole lot of them in Orlando FL though LOL.

We feed them mana pro senior, and beet pulp shavings. The alphalfa cubes and beet pulp are soaked in water so its mushy, then senior food mixed in at time of feeding. Ill try adding a bit of salt to the food to encourage more drinking.

The sand did cross my mind this morning, Ill go pick up the sand stuff (forget what its called) tomorrow -->finally get a day off LOL.

As for the weather, we have huge weather changed. It can be 84 one day, and 55 the next. Our winters/springs are that way. cold for a few days, hot for a few days.

Oh, the ferrier was out and he said he thinks its from eating the weeds. Any chance?

Thanks,
Shannon

:(If she is eating weeds, she is HUNGRY and needs more high quality hay. She def need Sand clear given with Mineral oil. YOu should either get a vet, OR find her a home that can afford her proper care. A horse with loose manure has a serious underlying issue going on. COw patty and poop that runs down her legs is very serious in Equines. Don't make excuses about a lack of vets, get her help. Go to Arabian Knights they have vets on call there. I am sure Guy would give you their vets info.
Here are some vets in and around Orlando
Gaston Equine Veterinary Services

Write a review
125 Tennessee Ave.
Saint Cloud, FL 34769-2171

(321) 624-0971
Equine Veterinary Services

Write a review
4429 Albritton Rd
St Cloud, FL 34772

(407) 361-1616
Live Customer Care Center

(352) 241-0383 Phone

Monday to Friday 8:00am to 5:00 pm(EST)

Saturdays, Sundays and federal holidays please leave a message. A customer representative will contact you within 24 hours of the first business day

You know, it's not hard to test for sand...altho I doubt it's the culprit. You just have to get some manure into a baggie, add water to make a slurry and hang it up for a couple hours. Sand will settle to the bottom.

I wouldn't do the Sand Clear unless you get a positive test. No need to treat for something that might not be a problem.

Also, be sure to wash her off back there with soap daily to avoid a secondary bac infection. Get inbetween the cheeks and all the way down the legs.

Hope you're able to get a vet out soon!

Only have a sec, but wanted to finally get on and update. Found a vet in the area that will do house calls.. Should be here tomorrow!

Ill update once I know more.

Shannon

Could be weeds. Our pony is on drylot and nibbles at the weeds during summer, and gets squirty at times. He cannot ever have as much hay as he wants, unfortunately for him.

There is also some weed in Spring that occasionally comes up and makes him drool. My vet and I have walked the pasture, I've walked it with an Ag Extension person, and we can't find anything odd.

Poopy AND drooly, oh well, we love him anyway.

It will be good to have your mare checked by the vet.

Cheers,
Michelle

Back
Top Bottom