Horse mats for floor of coop?

Interesting concept. Certainly could make changing out the litter less work if it will fit through the door. If a problem, I guess you could use two smaller tarps that overlap. No shovels or rakes.

Thanks for the thought,
Bruce

I searched for rubber mats and came across this thread. I was thinking of using horse stall mats as well and was wondering why one has to use litter at all. If you have an outside run with stay and a small plastic pool (sand) for bathing and litter in the nesting boxes. I think the floor would be soft, warm and easy to keep clean and dry. Please give me your thoughts

I searched for rubber mats and came across this thread. I was thinking of using horse stall mats as well and was wondering why one has to use litter at all. If you have an outside run with stay and a small plastic pool (sand) for bathing and litter in the nesting boxes. I think the floor would be soft, warm and easy to keep clean and dry. Please give me your thoughts
Alot of chicken poo is runny and you will need pine chips or some type of bedding "litter" to soak up or solidify messes. I use horse mats in our dog pens on the ground in high traffic areas (knocks down mud holes). One type of mat is somewhat smooth and the other has holes. These mats can be very heavy if you are thinking about removing them and washing them occasionally. I just have wood planks for my coop flooring with pine chips and that provides a good soft base. Rubber mats can be good for horses that stand in their stalls for extended periods.

4 the birds
thanks for your response! I homeschool my daughter and we are at home most every day. My plan is for her to sweep and mop mat everyday, our outside run is bedded with straw to eventually put aside Twice a year for compost. Asked my vet and he said the stall mats would definitely prevent bumblefoot. I think I might try it, my uncle has a big dairy operation and he has offered me enough mat for the inside of my coop for FREE

Thanks everyone! this is our first coop and brooder. We have our little girls and boy arriving the first week of may. We just moved to this farm in November and my daughter and I researched many hour on how we wanted to best utilize the beautiful barn we now have. Chickens won!! I feel like an adoptive mother and n my 11 Year old swears she is sooo excited to clean! We will see how long that lasts. We plan too spend alot of time with them. The eggs will be nice but just having them around will bee nicer!

Thanks Bruce! My husband is going to try to put wire mesh down on the floor and have it go up the sides then put the floor mats down. Old farm places are so cool! the house was built in 1910, and has so muxh character, updated mechanics but kept the great woodwork. cant wait to spend more time outsie exploring (we moved the end of november/snow. Bees sound interesting..LOVE HONEY!

Ha Bruce! Had a new house built 10in years ago...nice and shiny then last June we hit deer on motorcycle. Now living closer to family in this great place. I love it! Full of charm, and character! Plus my city kids will have a great experience. We are doing chickens and daughter want rabbits :)

Back
Top Bottom