1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Horse people, please help!

Discussion in 'Other Pets & Livestock' started by raiderbabe239, Nov 3, 2009.

1. raiderbabe239

raiderbabe239 ♥ Hatchaholic ♥

Jun 19, 2009
    Fort Myers, Fl
    okay so my dad has asked me to post a question about one of our horses i was going to post it on backyardherds but thought id ask you all first. so our horse buddy has a problem that we just noticed, hes always soaking wet and filthy, even when its not raining we were thinking it was sweat but the other day my dad noticed it was kind of yellowish looking and oozing from his skin, not clear like sweat is and also his fur isnt smooth and soft like my other horses its kinda rough and missing in small patches, could be from rubbing but it looks mangy to me any ideas on what could be wrong? we dont have alot of money right now so we wont call the vet unless we really have to. but any suggestions of what it could be would really help.

2. Akane

Akane Overrun With Chickens

Jun 15, 2008
    Sounds like a skin infection of some kind but your description may not be enough to determine what kind of skin infection. Try this article http://www.horsechannel.com/horse-health/skin-problems-22768.aspx Overall the best treatment you can do without a vet is a bath using something with betadine or chlorhexadine and then dry thoroughly. It could be triggered by an allergic reaction like rolling in a certain patch of weeds and it could be contagious so I'd probably seperate the horse to a stall until symptoms at least improve.

3. Camelot Farms

Camelot Farms Chickenista

Bumpy sounds like rain rot but I have never heard of or experienced any moisture coming from it.

Hope the article above gets you some answers.

4. Equest94

Equest94 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 29, 2007
    New York
    Well, yellow oozing is most likely puss which indicates an infection of some sort.

Would it be possible for you to post a picture?

I recommend reading the article that Akane posted and bathing him in a Betadine shampoo (make sure he is thoroughly rinsed and dried). If you don't see an improvement with the bathing, then I would strongly suggest you call the vet - he may need some penicillian.

5. txredneckmedic

txredneckmedic Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 20, 2009
    possibly rain rot?

6. Wolf-Kim

Wolf-Kim Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 25, 2008
    I know that times are tough and many of us don't like running to the vet for every little thing, especially if we can avoid it. This does sound like something that needs to be taken up with a vet. I have never heard of anything like this, I've heard of rain rot, with can cause the fur to be rough or comes out in patches, but the puss-like/yellowish discharge sounds a little worse than just a case of rain rot. Then again, I've never seen just how bad rain rot can get.

Pictures would definately help.

-Kim

7. farmgirlie1031

farmgirlie1031 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 26, 2008
    IA
    hmm?? I used to have a mare that had bad reactions to bug bites but it was just in her mane. Wherever she would get a bug bite it would ooze a little bit of yellow. The vet just said it was seasonal and to keep fly spray on her. Never heard of it all over the body though. It does sound more like rain rot except for that yellow oozing. Try a medicated shampoo ans wait a day or so. If no improvement I would go ahead and call the vet.

8. michickenwrangler

michickenwrangler To Finish Is To Win

Jun 8, 2008
    NE Michigan
    Quote:This sounds like something that the vet needs to look at. Skin problems can be hard to diagnose. I've never heard of anything like this and I've ridden and worked with horses for 25 years.

9. Grace

Grace Out Of The Brooder

Feb 19, 2009
    Wow that sounds just awfull! How long has he been like this? He probably didn't
    develope this over night. I have never heard of rain rot causing ozzing yellow puss
    either. He really needs some vet work done to identify the problem. [​IMG]

10. rodriguezpoultry

rodriguezpoultry Langshan Lover

Jan 4, 2009
    Claremore, OK

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by