Horse poo in Coop

Julie Mcleod

Hatching
Mar 31, 2020
Hello everyone

I am new to the forum and would like some advice on the material to layer over the horse manure in the pen
I have heaps of horse manure with big fat worms in it for the chooks to scratch through, but finding after they
have done enough scratching the coope is rather messy and mixed up with chook poo this is not working the
way I thought it would. Shall I put sand over the poo or scrap out the lot and start again.

I'm not very experienced with chickens, but from a composting perspective it sounds like you've got too many greens and not enough browns.

Are you talking about having horse manure inside the coop itself -- the enclosed shelter -- or in the run -- the open-air section with wire around it?

Assuming it's the run, is the area grassy or bare dirt? And do you still have horses in it?

If it's bare dirt and you have no horses in it I suggest that you put down a good deal of bedding including any or all of the following: Wood chips, wood shavings, straw, leaves, pine straw, and the like.

The chickens will mix it with the horse poop and their own poop and, given an appropriate level of moisture, it will eventually become compost.

Back
Top Bottom