Horseback Riders?

we have Ringo, and Barbie. after ringo starr and barbara bach. they are both quarter horses. we just got barbie this year and she is a little thin in the pic, but ringo is a barrel! she is from Easy Jet bloodlines. she is so sweet and just what i need after breaking my leg really bad when i was 15. never had the desire to ride again until now. so my boyfriend bought her for me (and Ringo).
i wish i had better pics but they wouldn't get away they were too interested in the camera.
28899_barbi.jpg

28899_ringo_nose.jpg

Yah I ride as well though not much the last 5 years had to care for my sick and now deceased parents, but this year if the weather ever co-operates I'm hoping to do alot more. these are my babies. Tess my Appy mare she 9, Have to restart her this year her training was interupted by pressing family needs, Jack my hubbies 9 year old Standardbred, and the kids pony Lia shes 13.
81831_thegang.jpg

Quote:
my very best horse was a 20 year old standardbred. her name was Kit, and she knew lots of tricks, i could ride her with nothing! sit backwards, put my head on her rump. she would take a rag out of my pocket and wipe my face, and kneel down. standardbred's are awesome!

I have two. One Missouri Foxtrotter named Tucker and a Paso Fino named Tora. I was not born into horses, so I had to learn everything the hard way haha. I started with a QH that was previously used as a Civil War reinactment horse. He was in the movie "The Patriot". He was a great horse and very well trained. Unfortunately he was a cribber and coliced. He could not be saved
sad.png
. I love trail riding, it is so relaxing.

i wish i had rode my sister and mother's paso finos. they have the smoothest gait of any horse. that was a time in my life where i had nothing to do with horses though. they have beautiful tack for these horses as well.

I was raised around horses all my childhood with my Dad having 10 or more horses at a time. Whenever I would ride, I always got bucked off since I was the last child put on the horse. I was the least of 10 kids and we usually had 3 or 4 kids on at one time. How stupid was that! What I remember is that the e horse I would ride always wanted to go back to the barn and did so while my Dad was yelling at me to make the horse mind. Well, it never worked. I always ended up at the barn. I guess getting yelled at all those times sure made me not want to ride horses. I wish my dad and I would of worked it out so I would of learned more about horses. I love horses and now my daughter loves horses. She begged for one for years before we finally decided to get her one. A friend of hers family member had gotten one at an auction and decided he did not want it. We went and looked at it. My Dad who was ill and in the hospital would of loved to of seen the horse. We bought the horse a week after my Dad passed away. Every time I look at that horse I think of my Dad. My husband has done some ground work with her, but he just can't do what is needed to get her fully trained for riding for our 12 year old daughter. She is broke and will let you ride but will not let you for long and wants to do what she wants to do. She rears up and bucks with you. Well, we got a bonus when we bought Beauty (registered thoroughbred mare, now 7 yrs). She was pregnant and we and the owners did not know it. She gave birth to a paint filly about 10 months after getting her This kind of set training back a bit for us. We now have two horses that we can not ride. We do not have the money to train either one. Roy has done ground work on both horses, but he is disabled and is limited on what he can do. Absolutely can not get bucked or he may be in a wheel chair for the rest of his life. I guess I am a bit scared probably from my childhood to help train them.
Anyway, long story short, we would like to sell them both and get a horse that is already broke well for a child to ride. This would help us out in the sense that we would have 1 horse to feed and a horse that can be ridden.
Beauty our Thoroughbred Mare. She is registered and comes from a winning bloodline. 7 years old.
Beauty%20April%2030%202011%20100_2097(edited).JPG

Rocket our 1/2 Thoroughbred Mare and what we think is Missouri Fox Trotter. Born July 27, 2009.
Rocket%20April%2018%202011%20100_2072(edited).JPG

Karen

Quote:
I care about Peppies story, she was such a beauty

@ all
Your are so blessed to have horses, I wish I can have one again. All the pics are so great love them all

Eatin'Dirt :

They sure are not cheap!! It seems every other part other then the southwest is a lot cheaper!! Right now hay is $16.95......
sad.png

Im happy to see 2 more horse lovers! Thank you Im happy I posted this one too now!
big_smile.png
Yes, I would want a pony, too if that was all I could get! The smell of them, is my smell of heaven! They keep me sane.
big_smile.png
& Im sorry you have not gotten one yet..... I was 3 yrs without one & thought I was going to go crazy! LOL I would drive by the houses with horses just for the smell!! crazy I know....
wink.png

16.95??? a bale? holy crap! happy to have a horse in the north!
I have been riding since I was a little girl, my mom has a horse barn where she teaches kids to ride.
I have a beautiful Paint/QH mare that is full of spunk, she was born at our barn and turned 10 this year. We like to jump, I would prefer hunter jumper style, but she prefers jumpers without the hunter
smile.png

nothing like the smell of the horse barn, I always joke about bottling it and selling the smell as a natural relaxant.​

WOW !!! Working your farm with your horses. I want to do that!!! I breed Morgan and Arabian horses on a small scale. I was raised riding other people's horses but never got the "promised" horse. Now I own 5 mares - just sold all the geldings. Hay prices are a cussword. We bought a small hay ranch just to get out of it. I couldn't stand paying so much for a bunch of grass. Now WE deal with the droughts, weeds, hiring help, etc. I love it, though. I feel I was born a rancher but had to find my way out of the city.

55368_100_0976.jpg

Last edited:
I too am a horse addict and long time rider. I have a 31 year old appy (owned him since he was 8 weeks old), a 23 year old Arab (known her since she was 4 months, trained her, and owned her the last 15 years), a 25 yr old arab I've owned since she was 1 year, and an ex racing 17 year old TB I've owned 12 years. I used to ride hard core trails. I've trusted my life many times to the two arabs especially so to the young lady who said it may be because of arabs - not my experience. I've swam all of them, camped, they all do mud/bridges, tarps, you name it. Sadly now I have little time with a family to do much riding and no longer have time to train. I get much joy out of watching my 4 year old ride the mares' when I have time. The old guy is still very special and still sound though only gets light riding. I've been riding since I was 5 yrs and (since I've had one of these 31 years) you can tell I'm not a spring chicken, hehe. Loved reading the stories.

Back
Top Bottom