Host a Soldier

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by debilorrah, Nov 14, 2009.

1. debilorrah

debilorrah The Great Guru of Yap Premium Member

WriteofWords post inspired this. If you are willing to host a solider for Thanksgiving, or you know a stranded solider in need of a place, post it here and maybe we can get people together. The thought of any soldier away from home with nowhere to go for the holiday breaks my heart.

I am near Edwards AFB and Ft. Irwin. Anyone from Vandenburg could catch a ride down with my SIL.

2. jamz

jamz Out Of The Brooder

Mar 22, 2009
    Southern Maine
    I think my mother in law would welcome anyone in the Augusta Maine area!

3. WriterofWords

WriterofWords Has Fainting Chickens

Dec 25, 2007
    Chaparral, New Mexico
    I've always done the Adopt a Soldier at Ft. Bliss for the holidays, I think most bases with basic or AIT do that,, well they used to it might be so anymore. This is a good idea!

4. shelleyd2008

shelleyd2008 the bird is the word

Sep 14, 2008
    Adair Co., KY
    I'm not really 'close' to any bases, but there is one here in KY that is just a few hours away. There's only 3 of us, and we'll have a turkey AND a ham, so there will be plenty of leftovers!!

5. Msbear

Msbear Fancy Banties

May 8, 2008
    Sharpsburg, MD.
    Shelley, Im packing my bags [​IMG]

I live in WV and would gladly host any one of y'all at my table. If a base were around here, I'd host a soldier as well

6. Dar

Dar Overrun With Chickens

Jul 31, 2008
    I wish I could help but I am a bit of a drive...

7. DuckLady

DuckLady Administrator Staff Member

Jan 11, 2007
    Washington State
    My first husband and I used to do this all the time.
    We were at George AFB near Debi and every Thanksgiving I would go all out and cook for an army (or in this case, the Air Force [​IMG] ).
    The ex invited any and all airmen who were alone for the holiday.

I still cook Thanksgiving like that. You never know who needs a home cooked meal. [​IMG]

8. debilorrah

debilorrah The Great Guru of Yap Premium Member

Quote:It's too bad George closed down. Now the bases are an hour away. Still very doable for me though.

9. Laney

Laney Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 25, 2009
    Spring Hope, NC
    I've not talked to my family about it, but if anyone who is HEALTHY (No one with a cold or any symptoms please my husband has MS) in NC needs a place for Thanksgiving I am Sure they would welcome a serviceman (God I feel like I should be writing serviceboy) away from home to come to our table. We are on the Eastern side of the state, near route 95. (Service WOMEN welcome as well)

Laney

10. Eggs4Sale

Eggs4Sale Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 29, 2009
    Yuma, Arizona

We have two bases here: Yuma Proving Grounds (Army) and the Marine Base. I know we get a lot of kids training for Irag and Afghanistan here. If any of you have your sons or daughters training here, I'll gladly host them for Thanksgiving.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by