House chicken with new chick

Linda, so sad to hear the chick passed. Not likely it was the mealworms. I would have responded sooner but I too have been under the weather 🤒. As @Gray Farms
mentioned, if the temperature in the brooder was too low it could have been the culprit.

Knowing what we know now, I would say that the chick was 1 day old when found. If you find yourself in this situation again, then a brooder with a heat source to provide 95°F to 90°F temp at the brooder floor will be needed for the 1st week, also a "cool" end of the brooder should be provide so the chick can move from the heated area to a lower temp area if it needs too!, the temperature can be lowered each week until the ambient temperature is 70°F or the chick is fully feathered, newly hatched chicks can not regulate their internal temperature until they have enough feathers to control temperature. Young chicks can easily become chilled and die.

Also, a high protein feed of at least 24% should be fed to young gamebird chicks.
Sorry about your loss! :hugs

So sorry you have been under the weather..
Thanks so much for the kind words. I feel she may have gotten too hot then, she liked to curl up in the towl that was in there.. she passed under it. But she did sleep under there every night. She was in our bedroom s9 she was not ccold. Its about 29 to 35°C most days.. she was at 90F in the box. But she may have gotten too hot maybe. I feel at least she had a week of real love and care before passing.

At least i still have black Sussex Pipin she is my spirit animal chicken love.

Do chickens get lonely if not with others? She may think shes a dog though..

Im wanting to transition her to the yard into her roosting box at night. But im worried she might feel rejected since all the other animals sleep inside..

Not sure i might be over thinking my chickens feeling... 🤣🤣🤣

Thanks for this awesome group.

Added some pics last one is her home made nappy she wears if shes spending lots of time in the house or on my bed with my son.

Attachments

• 20200217_161614.jpg
    20200217_161614.jpg
    296.5 KB · Views: 3
  • 20200217_161623.jpg
    20200217_161623.jpg
    406.3 KB · Views: 3
  • 20200217_161633.jpg
    20200217_161633.jpg
    322.9 KB · Views: 2
So sorry you have been under the weather..
Thanks so much for the kind words. I feel she may have gotten too hot then, she liked to curl up in the towl that was in there.. she passed under it. But she did sleep under there every night. She was in our bedroom s9 she was not ccold. Its about 29 to 35°C most days.. she was at 90F in the box. But she may have gotten too hot maybe. I feel at least she had a week of real love and care before passing.

At least i still have black Sussex Pipin she is my spirit animal chicken love.

Do chickens get lonely if not with others? She may think shes a dog though..

Im wanting to transition her to the yard into her roosting box at night. But im worried she might feel rejected since all the other animals sleep inside..

Not sure i might be over thinking my chickens feeling... 🤣🤣🤣

Thanks for this awesome group.

Added some pics last one is her home made nappy she wears if shes spending lots of time in the house or on my bed with my son.
It could have been the heat too! That's unfortunate, heat stroke can kill a chick too! I've had pheasants fall to sleep under the lamp and got heat stroke because of doing that...I managed to revive them though by taking them out of the brooder and having them in a cool place until they recovered and giving electrolytes "dripwise" on the side of their beaks. :he

Chickens are flock animals, they need others of their own kind around to really fair well but there has been many a single chicken raised.

Good luck with yours!

Linda, so sad to hear the chick passed. Not likely it was the mealworms. I would have responded sooner but I too have been under the weather 🤒. As @Gray Farms
mentioned, if the temperature in the brooder was too low it could have been the culprit.

Knowing what we know now, I would say that the chick was 1 day old when found. If you find yourself in this situation again, then a brooder with a heat source to provide 95°F to 90°F temp at the brooder floor will be needed for the 1st week, also a "cool" end of the brooder should be provide so the chick can move from the heated area to a lower temp area if it needs too!, the temperature can be lowered each week until the ambient temperature is 70°F or the chick is fully feathered, newly hatched chicks can not regulate their internal temperature until they have enough feathers to control temperature. Young chicks can easily become chilled and die.

Also, a high protein feed of at least 24% should be fed to young gamebird chicks.
Sorry about your loss! :hugs
90 to 95 degrees? You plan eating it or what?!!

Hello Sean and Gray
Thanks so much for the advice.. im attaching more pics of Guinea, have to say i do love my housechicken which i now at least know the correct breed of thank you.
And little guine
There are no signs of feathers at all so far, no pins or nothing.. chick must be 6 or more days old now. Any info like expected feathers?
Would anyone know if my chicken and the Guinea can go to the same roost 2 separate boxes but in one large dog house outside im building? Will they get along?

Thanks so much for all the expert advice and tentative replies.

Linda
Isn't that a quail chick? That is so cute, I hope we can raise quail here, Its just that there's a lot of predators here. they will be just helpless prey

Back
Top Bottom