House Chickens

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Nightingale, Sep 30, 2009.

1. Nightingale

Nightingale Out Of The Brooder

Sep 23, 2009
    NC
    I have noticed some people let their chicken(s) live indoors. Can you house train a chicken like you can a dog or cat??

2. chickensducks&agoose

chickensducks&agoose Chillin' With My Peeps

no, but you can diaper them like a monkey...

3. Princess Amri

Princess Amri Is Mostly Harmless

Jul 16, 2009
    best coast
    I keep them in cages in the house and bring them over to sit with me while I type at the computer.
    Really!

4. koifarm

koifarm Chillin' With My Peeps

We don't let them in the house but I was working in my shop today (14x24 with a 24x32' open pole barn adjacent) and heard some hens talking and turned around to see six of the ladies coming in to visit. I softly called them and they all came in and had a look around....hens are sooo sweet, they have an innate curiosity about everything.
    I have seen film of a woman who had a silkie as a pet, kept it indoors with a diaper, bathed it, snuggled with it so I guess if you're into that kind of thing it's possible. I doubt you could housebreak one but as long as you want to deal with one in the house, it's not out of the realm of possibility.

5. chickensducks&agoose

chickensducks&agoose Chillin' With My Peeps

I saw a PBS movie about the history of chickens, and the lady in it took her silkie in the POOL!!!

6. packinaglock

packinaglock Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 8, 2008
    Loxahatchee, Florida
    WOW, I like chickens but not quite that much.

7. suburbanminifarm

suburbanminifarm Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 29, 2009
    N.San Diego County
    I don't know but I once had a canary that was housebroken! Really! He knew to go to a folded peice of newspaper to do his business. I think he felt it was the only thing he was allowed to poo on since newspaper lined the bottom of his cage??? Very convenient for me though.

8. FingerLakesChick

FingerLakesChick Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 14, 2007
    Western New York
    I saw that PBS special - she took that chicken with her in the car too! It was hysterical!

I'd be tempted to try the diaper thing, just because a couple of my hens love being in the house - is it very difficult to diaper a chicken?

[​IMG]

9. Princess Amri

Princess Amri Is Mostly Harmless

Jul 16, 2009
    best coast
    And they went to McDonalds! And the store!

10. wildorchid053

wildorchid053 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 12, 2009
    syracuse area, ny
    it must be messy when you take off the diaper .. unless you shave those fluffy butts lol

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by