Nightingale

In the Brooder
10 Years
Sep 23, 2009
NC
I have noticed some people let their chicken(s) live indoors. Can you house train a chicken like you can a dog or cat??

Princess Amri

Is Mostly Harmless
10 Years
Jul 16, 2009
I keep them in cages in the house and bring them over to sit with me while I type at the computer.
Really!

koifarm

Songster
10 Years
Sep 2, 2009
saint augustine florida
We don't let them in the house but I was working in my shop today (14x24 with a 24x32' open pole barn adjacent) and heard some hens talking and turned around to see six of the ladies coming in to visit. I softly called them and they all came in and had a look around....hens are sooo sweet, they have an innate curiosity about everything.
I have seen film of a woman who had a silkie as a pet, kept it indoors with a diaper, bathed it, snuggled with it so I guess if you're into that kind of thing it's possible. I doubt you could housebreak one but as long as you want to deal with one in the house, it's not out of the realm of possibility.

suburbanminifarm

Songster
10 Years
Jul 29, 2009
N.San Diego County
I don't know but I once had a canary that was housebroken! Really! He knew to go to a folded peice of newspaper to do his business. I think he felt it was the only thing he was allowed to poo on since newspaper lined the bottom of his cage??? Very convenient for me though.

FingerLakesChick

Songster
12 Years
Mar 14, 2007
Western New York
I saw that PBS special - she took that chicken with her in the car too! It was hysterical!

I'd be tempted to try the diaper thing, just because a couple of my hens love being in the house - is it very difficult to diaper a chicken?

Top Bottom