How a seat belt changed my life. Book is OUT! Pg. 21 for info!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Can't wait for the third chapter! very good so far!
thumbsup.gif

*If you find any typos, please let me know!
smile.png

Chapter three - Elementary School

I had trouble finding my classroom at first, but then when I met Mrs. Montes everything seemed to go fine. I was kind of upset because my cousins said that nobody spoke Spanish at school, but I wasn’t going to let that ruin my day. Anyway, I waited for Mrs. Montes to finish talking to the principal so that I could go with her to Mrs. Diaz’s classroom, because I was kind of scared to go by myself. After 3 minutes of waiting she was finally done talking. The 2nd bell rang and I was going to be late to class on the first day of school, but I didn’t care.
While Mrs. Montes and I were walking to class, I noticed there were a lot of crafts hanging from the ceiling. I started to think this might be a fun school since we never made any crafts in Mexico--all we did was work that bored me to death. Mrs. Montes saw that I was nervous and started to tell me things to make me feel better. She told me that I was going to a bilingual class so there was nothing to worry about. That made me feel so much better! I was pretty sure my first day of school was going to go just fine. When we got to Mrs. Diaz’s classroom, I started to get nervous again. I opened the door and walked inside silently.

**“Hi, you’re Juan right?” Mrs. Diaz said.
“Yes” I replied.
“Good, my name is Mrs. Diaz. Why don’t you introduce yourself to the class? Just say your name and a few things you like to do.”
“Okay, my name is Juan Villalobos, I’m 8 years old, I have a sister named Martha and a brother named Alejandro, I recently came to the US and I like to play soccer.”
“Welcome to our class Juan” the whole class said.

I turned around to the other side of the classroom (because I heard someone that sounded familiar) and I couldn’t believe my eyes! Israel was there! The kid I met on the bus when we were coming to the US. I was really excited and confused at the same time because I thought he said he was going to a different city.

“ Do you know any of the students, Juan?” Mrs. Diaz said
“Yes, I know Israel!” I said with excitement.
“That’s good! Now you won’t feel so lonely”

Wow what a relief! Thanks to Israel, I wasn’t nervous anymore because now I had someone to talk to. Mrs. Diaz told me to grab a snack and juice out of the brown box that was near her desk because they were still eating breakfast. I grabbed a muffin and an orange juice and sat next to Israel. I wished they had given us breakfast in Mexico.
When we were all done eating our breakfast, Mrs. Diaz told us to clean our mess and wash our hands so that we could start class. At first Mrs. Diaz started talking in Spanish, but then she switched to English which was bad because I didn’t understand a thing she said.
About three hours later it was time to go to P.E. (Physical Education). I was so happy because Israel told me that they always run in P.E. and that’s what I loved the most. When we got to the gym, I was expecting the instructor to be bilingual but she wasn’t. This is why I think English is very important in the United States because if you don’t know English, you won’t get anywhere. When we got inside the gym, I saw these pieces of tape taped on the floor. I asked Brenda (a girl that was standing next to me) what those were and she told me that is where they sit, so I followed Israel and sat next to him.
All of a sudden Mrs. Bush, the instructor, started yelling at me. I thought I did something wrong, but I didn’t understand what she was saying. All I heard where weird sounds coming out of her mouth. When she started to get louder and closer to me, Brenda told her that I didn’t know English. She finally got quiet and went back to the stool she was sitting on earlier. Apparently I was sitting on somebody else’s spot and that's why Mrs. Bush was going crazy.
Brenda told me to go sit by her because nobody sat next to her and that she would translate to me what Mrs. Bush says. I replied with an "Okay" and sat next to her. Mrs. Bush started talking again and every now and then she would pause so that Brenda could translate to me. Brenda told me that we were going to run for ten minutes and then we would go back to our spot and wait for more instructions.
We all got up and went outside to get ready to run around the school. When Mrs. Bush said “Go!” I knew that meant that we could start running, so I started running. Thankfully, everybody else also started running, and I knew I was right. I was like speedy Gonzalez! Israel and I were in the lead.
After ten minutes we went back inside the gym. Mrs. Bush then started talking again and Brenda started translating. According to Brenda, the next thing we were going to do was play volleyball. I really didn’t know how to play volleyball, so I just sat back and watched how they played. That was all they did for the rest of the hour, so I thought I would be ready to play when they played volleyball again. Now it was time to go to choir, which at the time I had no clue what that was.
When we got to the choir room Mrs. Montes was there. I thought she was the teacher for that hour, but she was only going to help Mrs. Boyd, the choir teacher. Mrs. Boyd knew only a little bit of Spanish, but I could still understand her. She said that in choir they talked about music, played instruments and sang. First she talked about music for about 5 minutes. Then she gave us all a plastic flute to play. She literally plugged her ears and just watched what we did. I had never seen a flute in real life before, but I knew how to play it.
After 20 minutes, we had to put the flutes up and get our voices clear to sing. I hated singing, especially in choir because you had to get in front of everyone and sing. Fortunately, I didn’t have to sing because I was new, I just had to watch.
It was 1pm already and it was time for lunch. When we got to the cafeteria, there was this sign that said “Serving Pizza today” and I guessed that we were going to have pizza. I got in line and grabbed a plate that had a pizza, chocolate milk, an orange, and silverware. Everything tasted so different. I really didn’t like the pizza because it tasted like pizza with water so I didn’t eat it. I only ate the orange. Chocolate MILK? Seriously? I've hated milk ever since I was young. My aunt used to force me to drink milk, so now I never drink milk because it tastes nasty and makes me gag.
Once Brenda was done eating, I talked to her until lunch was over.
It was now 2pm which meant recess. We all went outside and played until 3pm, so we could go home. I didn’t felt like playing so I just starred at my house. I saw my mom coming out of the house. She was heading over to the school playground where I was. When she got close to the fence, she asked me what I was doing and I just told her that I couldn’t wait to go home because I had a lot of things to tell her. She told me that she had to go because she was cooking. When she left, Brenda came and asked me if I wanted to play tag with her and some other friends, I said "Okay" and started running from her.
It was finally 3pm! I went back to Mrs. Diaz’s classroom for my back pack and went home running because I wanted to tell my mom how much fun I had at school.

** - The conversation was originally in Spanish

Last edited:
Just wanted to remind everyone that this is a TRUE story
smile.png
I can't wait for the 5th chapter (the car wreck)
tongue.png

I had to take down the chapter for revising, but it's now fixed:)

Last edited:
In the 2nd to last chapter, it says" I didn't felt" when it should be "I didn't feel" Other than that it sounds really good. Also, are you a relative of the Villalobo's dog rescue person on TV? I think the show's called Pitbulls and Parolees. Here's the website: http://www.vrcpitbull.com/ Sorry, I just love that show so I had to ask!
smile.png

Quote:
Thanks
tongue.png
I was under lots of stress earlier and I didn't edit it correctly because I was feeling horrible. That's why I took it down because I found some typos, but I guess I missed that one
tongue.png
and nope I'm not related to that villalobos person
tongue.png

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom