How about forming a nationwide Organization

ejstoner

In the Brooder
10 Years
Mar 15, 2009
After reading many of these stories, and having dealt with all the crap that a local beauracracy can hand out, I think its time that all of us maligned chicken people, band together an form some sort of alliance. I am not a legal wizard,but there must be some poultry owners who belong to the bar, who could advise us or our legal rights and explain to us how we can fight for our poultry rights!!! How about-- P O R C-- the Poultry Owners Rights Coalition.

Very good. In these days of uncertain food safety,each citizen should be able to control at least some portion of his food intake, and know where it came from, what it is being fed, and that it is SAFE to eat

Very catchy phrase!! I like it. You know, you mention someone on the bar. Keeping chickens really isn't a legal offense. We had a lawyer tell me and my hubby that. I would have thought that they would have had something to say, give some advice, but no. That was a waste of time. Unless, of course someone else on here knows of someone else who may be able to help. This is exactly why I'm going to go to our city counsel meeting tomorrow night, and bring up this very thing. I met a young man, probable 18 or 19, who signed my petition, he said that he has chickens, and that the ACO told him to get rid of them. He said that when they came back, he put them in his house!
gig.gif
I don't know, if it works, why not, huh? He also told me that the most his mom and he had to pay in fines was like $53.00, he even went to court, and the Judge dismissed it. I asked him how much he and his mother had to pay, he said nothing, that the Judge just told him no livestock! He still has his chickens, and has not seen our ACO in over a year.

I'm just wondering if I will be opening a can of worms so to speak, about bringing up the idea of chickens in my backyard. Its just my husband is afraid to get fined. What do you all think?

There always seems to be a lawyer out there that wants the free publicity found in taking on a noble cause.Are you telling me that lawyers dont raise chickens?lol--I too am afraid of stirring things up. Not because of the controversy I might create, I like controversy. But I like my chickens too. The law in our town says "livestock"cannot be kept in the town limits .What a generalized term that is. It should be more to the point.Should chickens be considered livestock.When I speak about chickens, I mean hens, and not roosters. I guess I would call hens "my moderation".

Lets see how many people would sign up for such an organization. How many people who live in what I call poultry restricted zones, are willing to organize? Any Attorneys out there with a penchant for a good cause. I'd like to hear their thoughts on the subject.

granted PLF sounds catchy and will register with similar names in people's minds but it sends the wrong message. we're not out there racing about opening coop doors and yelling "you're free! you're free!".

what you'd want is an acronym that refers to something poultry and yet gives a strong, easily memorable summary of what the association stands for and hopes to accomplish.

Back
Top Bottom