How Best to Plant My Little Avocado Sapling?

Here is a nice video that explains how to get started. It is quite simple:

I did a bit of research and found an entire host of videos on caring for avocado plants! I suppose one can make it as complicated as they wish to:

How to grow avocados - long video:
How to water an avocado plant:
Root rot information:
Saving a tree from root rot:
What soil to use?:
How to plant an avocado sapling in soil:
Another one:
How to make a soil mixture for avocado plants:
How to prune an avocado plant:
How to get them used to sunlight:
How to graft them:
Life cycle of an avocado tree:
Wow! Thank you so much!!! I will watch those.

Here is a nice video that explains how to get started. It is quite simple:

I did a bit of research and found an entire host of videos on caring for avocado plants! I suppose one can make it as complicated as they wish to:

How to grow avocados - long video:
How to water an avocado plant:
Root rot information:
Saving a tree from root rot:
What soil to use?:
How to plant an avocado sapling in soil:
Another one:
How to make a soil mixture for avocado plants:
How to prune an avocado plant:
How to get them used to sunlight:
How to graft them:
Life cycle of an avocado tree:
:thumbsup x10

I bought some avocados! I'll see how this works. Sorry for sidetracking your thread, Orloffer.

I bought some avocados! I'll see how this works. Sorry for sidetracking your thread, Orloffer.
It's great that you're going to try growing one! And don't worry, you're not sidetracking the thread. :) This is now a general avocado plant thread, since I already ended up planting the sapling.

I started another one yesterday, so I have four in total now: the one I planted and put outside, a smaller one that is about 5 inches tall, and two pits I put in water quite recently. Avocado pits can take quite a long time to "hatch," so I will have to be patient. :caf

Last edited:
It's great that you're going to try growing one! And don't worry, you're not sidetracking the thread. :) This is now a general avocado plant thread, since I already ended up planting the sapling.

I started another one yesterday, so I have four in total now: the one I planted and put outside, a smaller one that is about 5 inches tall, and two pits I put in water quite recently. Avocado pits can take quite a long time to "hatch," so I will have to be patient. :caf
Ok! Thanks. This will be fun. How long do they take to "hatch"? I haven't watched the videos yet.

Ok! Thanks. This will be fun. How long do they take to "hatch"? I haven't watched the videos yet.
Hmm...I can't give an exact number, as it seems to vary quite a bit. The one I put in water about 5 days ago(?) is just starting to break in half on the underside, and it will probably take a month (at the very least) before it starts to sprout.
I had a very slow-growing one that took many months, though. I wasn't sure if it would ever sprout, and I kind of gave up on it and the jar grew some algae in it. Then I decided to give it another chance in a new container by the kitchen window, and to my delight it began growing again. The roots still aren't in great shape (because of the algae, I presume), but hopefully when it is time to plant it, it will recover alright.

The pit cracks along the underside first, and then sends down a few roots. As the center continues to develop, the pit splits further until it is pretty much in two halves. At that point it sends up a shoot, which soon grows a tiny leaf....and then another....and another as it gets taller.

Last edited:
Hmm...I can't give an exact number, as it seems to vary quite a bit. The one I put in water about 5 days ago(?) is just starting to break in half on the underside, and it will probably take a month (at the very least) before it starts to sprout.
I had a very slow-growing one that took many months, though. I wasn't sure if it would ever sprout, and I kind of gave up on it and the jar grew some algae in it. Then I decided to give it another chance in a new container by the kitchen window, and to my delight it began growing again. The roots still aren't in great shape (because of the algae, I presume), but hopefully when it is time to plant it, it will recover alright.

The pit cracks along the underside first, and then sends down a few roots. As the center continues to develop, the pit splits further until it is pretty much in two halves. At that point it sends up a shoot, which soon grows a tiny leaf....and then another....and another as it gets taller.
Do you have a pic of one of your pits soaking? I'm trying to make sure I do this right. The bottom part has to be in the water right? And I read something about toothpicks??? Sorry, lol.

How does this look? I did 3.
I just got these in a bin at Wal-Mart, do they have to be organic?
I peeled the skin off, the videos said to.
20201008_121951.jpg

I peeled the skin off, the videos said to. View attachment 2364959
I peeled the skin off, the videos said to. View attachment 2364959
Nice, that's a great set-up! I don't think they have to be organic, though I am not 100% sure. I don't recall whether my original plants were or were not.
I would recommend removing a bit of water so that it is only covers half of the pit, as you don't want it to be too submerged. Also if you want to, you could move the toothpicks down closer to the "equator" of the pit so that when it "hatches" it will be better supported. (I apologize for all the quoted words. My avocado terminology is not very scientific.)

Nice, that's a great set-up! I don't think they have to be organic, though I am not 100% sure. I don't recall whether my original plants were or were not.
I would recommend removing a bit of water so that it is only covers half of the pit, as you don't want it to be too submerged. Also if you want to, you could move the toothpicks down closer to the "equator" of the pit so that when it "hatches" it will be better supported. (I apologize for all the quoted words. My avocado terminology is not very scientific.)
Ok. I'll see if it works or not. If not, it's not a big deal. I'll look for some organic ones if it doesn't grow. Ok! I can do that. Will it be ok to pull out the toothpicks? I didn't want to make too many holes. I tried to pull one back out and it broke off inside 😬
I couldn't get it out all the way. I'll try to move them down some. I had no clue what I was doing, lol. They're on my bedroom windowsill. There isn't any draft.
No problem. :D
I appreciate your help.

Back
Top Bottom