How Best to Plant My Little Avocado Sapling?

orloffer

Crowing
Jun 10, 2020
SF Bay Area, CA
It's gorgeous! Thanks for the pic. How long in your experience does it take for them to "sprout" out the top? I have a decent little root protruding, but no stem or anything yet. I can see green leaves inside when I take a pic with my flash tho.
At least a few months, I would say. I wasn't keeping track back when it sprouted, but it definitely took a long time.

Reactions: MGG

Awakening Forest

FreeBird
Premium Feather Member
Aug 14, 2020
North Central Florida
Avocado plants are one of my side lines. They are so grateful. I plant the seeds in good potting soil to begin with. They are fast growers so give them space from the beginning. The main fertilizer I use is my pond water.

Awakening Forest

FreeBird
Premium Feather Member
Aug 14, 2020
North Central Florida
You don't start them in a jar? They're really cool plants.
No. I get fresh avocados and sometimes when they are sliced for the table there is already a little sprout inside. :love . I remember my father used to start them in a jar. Haven't had any luck with store bought, imported which are usually Haas type though. Maybe starting them in a jar is the secret?

• Love

MGG

Free Ranging
Feb 7, 2020
No. I get fresh avocados and sometimes when they are sliced for the table there is already a little sprout inside. :love . I remember my father used to start them in a jar. Haven't had any luck with store bought, imported which are usually Haas type though. Maybe starting them in a jar is the secret?
My hass ones are doing great! All 3 have roots in the jar. I started all 3 the same day but 1 is way more advanced that the other 2.

Top Bottom