How Best to Plant My Little Avocado Sapling?

It's gorgeous! Thanks for the pic. How long in your experience does it take for them to "sprout" out the top? I have a decent little root protruding, but no stem or anything yet. I can see green leaves inside when I take a pic with my flash tho.
At least a few months, I would say. I wasn't keeping track back when it sprouted, but it definitely took a long time.

Avocado plants are one of my side lines. They are so grateful. I plant the seeds in good potting soil to begin with. They are fast growers so give them space from the beginning. The main fertilizer I use is my pond water.

You don't start them in a jar? They're really cool plants.
No. I get fresh avocados and sometimes when they are sliced for the table there is already a little sprout inside. :love . I remember my father used to start them in a jar. Haven't had any luck with store bought, imported which are usually Haas type though. Maybe starting them in a jar is the secret?

No. I get fresh avocados and sometimes when they are sliced for the table there is already a little sprout inside. :love . I remember my father used to start them in a jar. Haven't had any luck with store bought, imported which are usually Haas type though. Maybe starting them in a jar is the secret?
My hass ones are doing great! All 3 have roots in the jar. I started all 3 the same day but 1 is way more advanced that the other 2.

My best avocado is doing great! I'll post a pic in a little bit!
Great! I'm excited to see the picture! My best indoor avocado is also doing well. The one I moved outside a while back has some leaves that are browning around the edges, but I am hoping it will not be too much of an issue.

Great! I'm excited to see the picture! My best indoor avocado is also doing well. The one I moved outside a while back has some leaves that are browning around the edges, but I am hoping it will not be too much of an issue.
I'll get a pic right now! That's cool.

Sorry I took so long to get the pic! Here are a few I just took. How long should I let it go before I get a pot?
20210121_182913.jpg
20210121_183000.jpg

Back
Top Bottom