How can I encourage broodiness quick?

hhouck514

Songster
Nov 4, 2018
OR
I know this is the opposite of what most people would want, but I need a broody hen soon...Let me explain:
At our county Fair, there are some awesome chicken hatching eggs that someone has offered to me. It will be too late to order an incubator, so I need a broody hen. How long can I leave the eggs at room temperature before incubation starts? And finally, any tips on how to get a buff orpington to become broody? Any advice would be greatly appreciated,
Hunter

In ALL reality,,,,, I don't think there is a way to make a hen broody at your will. They become broody at their choice in time.
Certain breeds of chickens are more likely to go broody than others. Cochin and Silkies are often broody and make excellent moms. Leghorns on the other side of spectrum, hardly ever go broody. Your Orpington is somewhere in the middle range.
You can get an Incubator quite quickly from AMAZON. They deliver faster than any other supplier.(that I know) :thumbsup
You can purchase incubators at many Farm Supply Stores. Cash N Carry.
Your fertile eggs are fine to start incubating up to 2 weeks. After that period, the success rate drops. The earlier, the better.
WISHING YOU BEST,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, :highfive:

I have a broody. I live in Washougal, WA. Oh, I see you have an incubator. I had 7 broodies this year, and I'm selling some of them. One is a Toulbunt Polish hen, about 16 months old, one is a Partridge Brahma, about 1 year old. A 1 year old Cuckoo Marans hen who is friends with the Brahma, and a 1 1/2 year old Light Brahma.

I tried what I read somewhere else-- every day, use a pencil and mark the date on newly laid eggs. Leave at least 2 in the nest. I started with 2 ceramic eggs on day 1, then left 3 eggs a day for 2 more days. Then I started removing the oldest and replacing with newer ones. i moved the ceramic eggs to the other box, since no one was laying there. All of a sudden one day, Bertha's on them--the ceramic ones! That night I went in late and put the 6 real ones in with her (pecking fury!). She's on them now, day 2. Fingers crossed, but that method seemed to work on getting her broody.

Back
Top Bottom