how can i get rid of coyotes

Quote:
Taint live ones. Spray it on feathers. Apply it to expendible bird and place it where coyotes will catch it first.

Are you comfortable with spraying chemicals on your birds and hoping that will be the bird or birds that the coyotes catch???? How do you know it wouldn't transfer into the eggs or meat and actually be harmful to you? What do you consider and "expendible" bird to sacrafice to predators??? That seems extremely cruel to me. The bird would be in complete terror as she was tied out for something to come by and attack.

I think I am much more comfortable with trapping or taking a predator out in a humane way than to sacrafice any of my animals for an experimental cause. Treating plant leaves and sacraficing "expendable" birds are two totally different things. It is beyond cruel in my opinion.

I do not know if bluedog has to cull but many folks do owing to an animal in poor condition / health beyond repair or having genetics that are arbritarily considered inferior. The folks breeding for show probably cull more than they keep but also expend more on the keep making more resistant to predators (off topic a bit).

To me the coyote is valuable as well. Suppresses pesky rodents and often can persist in your area without taking livestock. Relocation of a predator to another location can be major stressor possibly leading to death if new location occupied by other coyotes.

A choice will have to be made as to who we shall be cruel to. Sacrifice one to save many part of my logic. I would have to explore risks concerning the chemical used. Benefits must out way risk / costs.

Quote:
My property is within a territory of a coyote pair. They have not stopped by for any on my chickens yet but they do take voles no more than a hundred yards from where my chickens roam during day. Either they have not gotten a taste for chicken or they avoid my activities and thus avoid chickens. Could change any day, especially of the voles and rabbits start coming up a bit short. The number of coyotes may not be the same every year as well.

Quote:
This is fairly common behavior for coyotes. Unless they start on your birds they will not only ignore them but protect the area from any of their species that possibly could. Not only that but they will train their pups to do the same thing. This is a good reason not to eliminate them if they aren't causing a problem. BTW, the number of coyotes in a given area remains fairly static--the resident pair will drive off any new comers and will chase their offspring out once they mature.

Quote:
I don't think there are bounties offered in any lower 48 states any more. That turned out to be a poor control method.

shotgun??? sounds like a plan!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
lol.png

Quote:
I don't think there are bounties offered in any lower 48 states any more. That turned out to be a poor control method.

bounties are still offered in quite a few of the states most of the time they are too small to work the reason the beaver and wolf were almost extinct was because of how well bounties work .

Quote:

bounties are still offered in quite a few of the states most of the time they are too small to work the reason the beaver and wolf were almost extinct was because of how well bounties work .

I am a biologists that works on the production end that often regards wildlife as challenge.

Bounty system has been demonstrated not to be an effective control measure against coyotes although works very well on wolves. Former expanded range even when targeted by bounty system. Latter was extirpated.

Some species can be controlled / eradicated using bounty system. Most vulneralable are large with low reproductive capacity (ie wolves, bears, big cats) and those that are limited to specific types of habitat with limited home ranges (beaver). Others which are smaller like coyotes, foxes, coons and oppossums normally operate under persecution by larger animals so they have higher reproductive rates and greater mobility (often home range rather highly defined territory) . They also tend to be more adaptable in a landscape that changes from place to place in respect to threats and feeding opportunities.

A biologist concentrating on ecosystem management with wildlife as their first concern could give a more detailel / accurate assessment of how various predators respond to control measures.

Last edited:
bounties worked very well on beaver too they were almost extinct at the turn of the century when bounties are low in the dollars paid out they do not work pay $50-$100 per animal you will see a them thin out some

I recently lost 3 pullets to coyotes. I was surprised they came so close to my house, and heartbroken over losing my girls. I have completely redone and moved the pen/coop for the remaining 3. and I walk my dog through the backyard every day to mark whatever area she can. I hope by moving the location and changing the housing completley the coyotes will move on.

I am currently looking for some replacements to help the remaining birds stay warm through winter.

Back
Top Bottom