Status
Not open for further replies.

CHlCKEN

Addict
Jun 21, 2020
Tennessee
My Coop
My Coop
we started out with 4 Sussex hens. When two of them passed away we made the mistake of buying 11 bared rocks (to many good layers = to many eggs) we had a few ducks at the time to. One night i noticed one of the chicks straying from the pen, when I hadn’t let them out. I immoderately ran over to fine only 4 hens living. One was one of the original hens (the other original hen had died a month previous to a bad sour crop) and three were barred rocks. We switched runs and put them in a safer run no predators could get in. Recently one of the barred rocks got an infection and passed so we only have two barred rocks left. Since they have been by themselves away from the large flock, the three girls have gotten more friendly, mainly the sussex. One of them which we named Jokgu dont usually run off when you try and touch her but she is still a bit more afraid. Bubbles and still to scared to let you touch her and doesn’t even squat. how Can I tame them? They are both 2 years old so I’m not sure if I’ll be able to do much

Like a lot of animals, I found food is the great equalizer. I love my Sussex, she'll now walk on my feet if I'm carrying food. I would start to train them by using a can and shaking it & calling and when they come close by toss out some bits. you really really don't want to give them a lot of treats. Just a tiny bit will work; you can use scratch or oatmeal or grapes, whatever they think will be great to eat. Do it everyday, even multiple times a day, remember you only need a few flakes of oatmeal to make a big impact. Take your time and work them closer and closer. One of them will be very brave I think.

Yes, scratch has been a great part of our lives for a great deal of time. Yes our Sussex is probably more friendly than some of our cats, and she is definitely the result of a happy life. Our Barred rocks May only be a bit shy because of their breed, I haven’t before met a barred rock, or a Dominique that is willing to come up to you or jump in your lap. We have been giving scratch every day when they are done free-ranging at night, and this has definitely boosted their trust with me. I think it depends on the chicken, and how events in their life have impacted their trust

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom