How common is it to accidentally take home rooster?

Nicole01

Crowing
8 Years
Mar 28, 2011
MN
I bought 3 hens. Well, I pray they are hens. The hatchery says there is no guarantee and that there is a slight possibility there is a rooster in our small flock. I will be crushed if I have to sell one of my "girls". I love every one of them!

I'm reading through the posts and there are so many of you that have roosters. If I do end up with a rooster can I bring in a new chick or two? We prefer to have just 3, but 4 wouldn't be so bad. I really want a buff brahma.
smile.png

How common is it to end up with a rooster?

Hmmm... I bought 4 "pullets" from a BYC member and two of them where roos. Whoopsie
lol.png

No worse for wear though- I brought the roosters to my local feed store, since I couldn't find anybody who wanted them, and I now have a flock of five lovely ladies!

If your hatchery sexers are 90% accurate, then 2.7 of your chickens will be girls. So, you'll only get .3 of a roo.
wink.png
As long as you're allowed to keep roosters in your area, I wouldn't worry too much. Besides, even if one is a roo, he'll do a good job of protecting your girls.

We did buy our babies from the hatchery. I do not know if we are allowed any roosters. Hubby never asked. Our neighbors would not be happy if we had a rooster though. Our girls will be outside in a chicken run. We are going to do a portable one and move it around the yard. Our neighbors lost all their chickens and ducks in the past. Too much danger for free range. Otherwise, someone will be outside with the girls.

Back
Top Bottom