How deep?

DaSouthernYankee

Songster
Sep 13, 2018
Louisiana
So my ducklings are now about 24 days old and I take them out daily to play outside of the brooder. Usually let them splash in a Tupperware but today we went in the tub... they started darting around and going under so I assumed they wanted a little more depth? I’m going to include a video just to make sure this seems like happy duck behavior and it isn’t too deep for them just yet.
They are preening and walking around now, dunking their heads.. the water is warm and they are just chirping away, how do I know when they want to get out?

I'm no expert but I personally wouldn't make the water deeper than you have it there, it is enough for them to dip and dive as well as being able to stand. When mine were younger, I used to get them out when they stopped playing or got sleepy
That’s what I figured! They appeared to be having fun and I got them out once they stopped diving. Dried them with a towel then a little blow dryer action. Now they’re in the bathroom with the heating pad and heat fan on until they get super dry.

Get a kiddie pool outside and fill it up. Use something to build a step for them. They definitely are old enough to swim.
We are in the process of installing a pond and fabulous filtration system (messy little duckies!!) about 12-18in deep. It stays very warm here so I’m not worried about them being outside in their house but I think I’m going to wait till they have a bit more feathers to make the transition... I’m already considering ordering more hatchlings! I’m in duck love! :lau:love

We are in the process of installing a pond and fabulous filtration system (messy little duckies!!) about 12-18in deep. It stays very warm here so I’m not worried about them being outside in their house but I think I’m going to wait till they have a bit more feathers to make the transition... I’m already considering ordering more hatchlings! I’m in duck love! :lau:love
lol...They can swim at 2 days old and I never worry about them. As long as they can get in and out they do what they are happy doing...

They can swim as soon as they can walk, but if they were hatched in a brooder they will not be waterproof, and a waterlogged duckling can get hypothermic (too cold) and it can drown if the water is too deep and it can't get out. Ducklings that hatch under momma ducks get oils transferred from the momma duck which makes them waterproof.

@DaSouthernYankee, I think what you are doing with them now is perfectly fine and very safe. :D

This is what Metzer Farms says about water:
"Ducklings and goslings can be introduced to swimming water as early as one week of age but you must be very careful. They must be able to walk in and out of the water very easily. The water should not be too cold and they must be able to find their heat lamp for rewarming without difficulty. As they have no oil on their feathers at this age, they cannot be in the water for long periods or they will become waterlogged and chilled. Do not allow this to happen! But this exposure to water speeds the development of their oil gland and they can probably be swimming freely by five or six weeks of age."
Source:http://www.metzerfarms.com/RearingInstructions.cfm?affiliate=undef&CustID=22018165

Back
Top Bottom