How do chickens recognize people and other chickens?

I'm fairly sure they recognize my voice (though I'd also put sight at the top of the list in general). Rooster'll throw a fit when I open the latches on the run to go in and open the chicken door in the morning. He can't see me at that point, but usually shuts up if I tell him that it's just me.

My rooster came running all the way across the field after my Dad one day, only thing I can figure is that my Dad was someone different. It was kind of funny because we stood there and watched the rooster coming, then watching my Dad trying to chase the rooster down, but that chicken doesn't bother him anymore.
My husband travels for his job and is sometimes gone for wks. at a time and the rooster is always wary of him for a few days.
My turkeys aren't aggressive(yet) but they sure do like to put on a show for visitors.

It's by sight. According to recent research on chicken intelligence, chickens can remember up to 100 different faces. Chickens have excellent sight.

DB

Quote:
Yep, I am....hmm, maybe that does have something to do with their friendliness!
smile.png

I've been thinking about this all day because we had company over the weekend and they got a kick out of how my birds followed me around. We went inside for a while then went out on the back deck to visit. They heard me and came running. I was out on the deck again this afternoon on hen clucking near rest were way off. I started talking to that one that right at the deck here came the rest of them in a run.

Just thought I would add my observations.

After reading the last post, i remembered this. My chickens hear my truck pull in the driveway, and wait at the gate to be let out in the yard for the evening.
They do not do this for my husband when he gets home. They cannot see the driveway, so they know the difference between the sound of the two trucks.
They must recognize by sight and sound
smile.png

Ours hear my voice and come running.
roll.png
Doesn't matter if I'm talking to them or not. Roo is weary of strangers, but the only thing is does is stand between the stranger and his hens. I think they can see a bowl, or pan really well from a distance too. I can come out the door with some scraps, and without me saying a word, they'll come running to see what I have.

mine are wary of strangers. When the see me they are on food alert. if i have anything in my hand look out
big_smile.png
I didn't give them any trreats for a long time (bad me) and then I went outside with my dinner and they remembered what a bowl meant. they came flying at me so apparently they also have a pretty good memory too

My roo's crow when they here me or when my truck pulls in. They don't do this for my wife or visitors. They also seem to know my voice. When they were upset the last time a preditor got into the coop at night, I spoke to them calmly and they all calmed down. Did I mention I HATE POSSUMS!!!!!

Back
Top Bottom