How do I catch a duck someone dumped

If you're worried about predators, you may not have time to win it's trust. Scatter some cracked corn (I've NEVER met a duck who could turn down cracked corn!) and net it while it's eating. If it's as used to people as it seems, it'll settle down when it knows it's safe again.
Good Luck!
Reading this I had a little giggle
I have 19 ducks and not one of them will eat it
Any tricks to help
I have a big bag going to waste

Tried again this morning. It ate bread. I have a medium dog crate I fed it little pieces then started dropping them in the crate further and further in. Almost! But not yet. A boater said it has been there almost a month! So I will keep trying, getting different treats. It got so hot and now the storm coming up the coast. My cat having dental cleaning today too and husband diagnosed with prostate cancer. Too much for one day! I think I'll get him/her in time. Thank you all for suggestions 🙂

Put a light in that crate, it will walk right on in and nest at night, add food and it will feel as home till the door closes.

My new ducks I let out won't let me anywhere near them, but they got lost on the way in last night due to some obstructions of plywood I was using during the day to funnel them and stayed in one spot close as they could to the Waddle Inn light. Shined a flashlight next to me and they came right up to me till I said something and took off. Shined a light on the direction I wanted them to go and they followed all around the trees of 200' and between the wife's garden rows till they lined up with the Waddle Inn ramp and up they went in.
Like getting a cat to chase a laser.

Tried again this morning. It ate bread. I have a medium dog crate I fed it little pieces then started dropping them in the crate further and further in. Almost! But not yet. A boater said it has been there almost a month! So I will keep trying, getting different treats. It got so hot and now the storm coming up the coast. My cat having dental cleaning today too and husband diagnosed with prostate cancer. Too much for one day! I think I'll get him/her in time. Thank you all for suggestions 🙂
Wow, you have a lot on your plate I hope your husband beats this cancer. 🙏
Bless you for trying to rescue this duck hopefully next time you'll get it.

https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/north-carolina.91762/page-4242
maybe someone would come and help?

Put a light in that crate, it will walk right on in and nest at night, add food and it will feel as home till the door closes.

My new ducks I let out won't let me anywhere near them, but they got lost on the way in last night due to some obstructions of plywood I was using during the day to funnel them and stayed in one spot close as they could to the Waddle Inn light. Shined a flashlight next to me and they came right up to me till I said something and took off. Shined a light on the direction I wanted them to go and they followed all around the trees of 200' and between the wife's garden rows till they lined up with the Waddle Inn ramp and up they went in.
Like getting a cat to chase a laser.
If Im leave it there someone will take it. I walked all over the property last night with a flashlight but didn't see it. There is a street light but it's pavement, water, weeds and woods. I could sit there at dusk and watch where it goes and try to get it in from there. I'll keep looking!

I'm so sorry about your husband and all of your trouble. Bless you for trying to rescue that beautiful duck. It's so sad when people dump them. My ducks have always rejected cracked corn - not sure why. But they love peas and meal worms.

Wow, you have a lot on your plate I hope your husband beats this cancer. 🙏
Bless you for trying to rescue this duck hopefully next time you'll get it.

https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/north-carolina.91762/page-4242
maybe someone would come and help?
I have the duck! Now what? LOL I was able to grab it. It's starving. It literally jumped in my lap feeding it some bread.

I have it where I kept my chickens so it's safe but very thin.

I can get some food tomorrow. I have corn, cornmeal and peas cooked into a mash but it's scared now. And a big pan of fresh water.

I'm not good at posting things and navigating this website and where we live I don't think there are any rescues.

Anyone have suggestions I'm listening. It can stay a while. I think it needs more help now then I can give it.

Thank you everyone

Attachments

• IMG_20230831_163916546.jpg
    IMG_20230831_163916546.jpg
    341.9 KB · Views: 10
  • IMG_20230831_163922952.jpg
    IMG_20230831_163922952.jpg
    303.7 KB · Views: 10

Back
Top Bottom