How do I catch a duck someone dumped

basement chick

Songster
8 Years
May 20, 2015
North Carolina
Someone dumped a sweet duck at a boat ramp near me. It comes up to people but I can't catch it. It's storming now and it's just sitting there in the pouring rain. Any ideas?

Attachments

• IMG_20230829_175527788.jpg
    IMG_20230829_175527788.jpg
    505.9 KB · Views: 205
Last edited:
Have you tried food? you might want to bring along help and maybe a large fishing net. When someone dumped some ducks in our mt river I went down and made friends by feeding them, They were def hungry I fed them for about 3-4 days then I went and set up a dog X pen and started feeding them in one end facing the water open. I put feed down right at the opening first them gradually each day moved it back until the feed was at the closed end of the pen They waddled right inside to eat and I closed up the opening Went in and picked them up put them into a dog crate and brought them home.
You may be able to get this one with help, offer feed and let the helper grab the duck or use a net to catch it. Such a pretty duck.
it's so heartbreaking to see this when they are so vulnerable to predation especially when they cannot fly to escape.

Have you tried food? you might want to bring along help and maybe a large fishing net. When someone dumped some ducks in our mt river I went down and made friends by feeding them, They were def hungry I fed them for about 3-4 days then I went and set up a dog X pen and started feeding them in one end facing the water open. I put feed down right at the opening first them gradually each day moved it back until the feed was at the closed end of the pen They waddled right inside to eat and I closed up the opening Went in and picked them up put them into a dog crate and brought them home.
You may be able to get this one with help, offer feed and let the helper grab the duck or use a net to catch it. Such a pretty duck.
it's so heartbreaking to see this when they are so vulnerable to predation especially when they cannot fly to escape.
I can try that. Yes we live very remote. It won't last long. It's so sad. 😢 thank you

What is a food that ducks really love? I've never had a duck. Anyone in eastern NC want it if I catch it? I don't even have chickens anymore.

I can try that. Yes we live very remote. It won't last long. It's so sad. 😢 thank you
If you're worried about predators, you may not have time to win it's trust. Scatter some cracked corn (I've NEVER met a duck who could turn down cracked corn!) and net it while it's eating. If it's as used to people as it seems, it'll settle down when it knows it's safe again.
Good Luck!

What is a food that ducks really love? I've never had a duck. Anyone in eastern NC want it if I catch it? I don't even have chickens anymore.
Go to our state forum and post there. You might even get help to catch it.
TSC should have small bags of some kind of treat. I'm not sure if they carry small bags of cracked corn but I know they carry other treats for poultry. You might even be able to get it with bread. [Not a good food but it may work to catch the duck]

Back
Top Bottom