How do I keep the run dry

Is the water coming from outside, and dripping in? That will be a hole in the roof to fix.
If the water is not coming through the roof, it is condensation, which can be from a damp coop/run, or not having enough ventilation.
A damp area for the chickens to live in (day and night) can lead to mold, which can make them very sick. That's why they need a dry coop and run.
How cold is it there in the daytime, and nighttime now?
The run is dry now.

So it’s from the corner of the roof. Like the roof drops water
If you can direct the water away, that will help.
Use a tube made to take rainwater away. Ask for assistance in sny Depot or any hardware store snd they will direct you.
In the meantime try a using a piece of wood or anything the water may use to flow down.
I hope that helos.
Csn you send more pics?
We have some very skilled builders in out group. They can advise you better than I can do, especially witj pics of your coop.

If you can direct the water away, that will help.
Use a tube made to take rainwater away. Ask for assistance in sny Depot or any hardware store snd they will direct you.
In the meantime try a using a piece of wood or anything the water may use to flow down.
I hope that helos.
Csn you send more pics?
We have some very skilled builders in out group. They can advise you better than I can do, especially witj pics of your coop.
Yes

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    779.8 KB · Views: 21
If that pipe drains onto their hay in their coop, you can purchase an extension so the water drains from the pipe outside of their coop.
If you show this picture to any helper in a hardware store or a place like Home Depot they will help you find the correct tube for this purpose.
Keep in mind you will need to cut a hole for the drain pipe to go through the wall of the coop.

Last edited:
If that pipe drains onto their hay in their coop, you csn purchase an extension do the water drains from the pie outside of their coop.
If you show this picture to any helper in a hardware store or a place like Home Depot they will help you find the correct tube for this purpose.
You will need to make a hole big enough for the pipe to go through and drain the water. And is this coop built around a drain pipe? What surface is under the hay? Concrete? Earth? Driveway?
Do you have pictures of the entire coop? Please post.
It may be easier to build a new coop away from a building on it‘s own.
Not sure.
You can‘t post too many pictures. Please give us more information..

To echo what others have already said, the easiest places to start are:

1) Add some ventilation. Add a window with chicken wire over it, and get the tarp off the walls. Ventilation is super important in keeping a coop dry. I keep a window open in my coop all year long, and even when they track snow in and it melts, it has a chance to dry out before condensation forms.

2) Get some ground cover. I prefer woodchips to straw or hay. Hay will protect their feet but it won't absorb water and will rot as it gets wet. Woodchips are MUCH more absorbent. Soil would work too but is usually hard to get in bulk. See if you can find a local tree company that will deliver a load of woodchips. Depending on where you live, you might even be able to get the local public works company to do it for free, especially if you call the city or flag them down while they're chipping downed trees after a storm. Get a nice big pile of woodchips and store it somewhere DRY. Then lay down a thick (think 6 inches to 1 foot) layer in the coop and the run, anywhere that's getting wet. Then add more whenever moisture starts to build up. This will act as what Joel Salatin calls a "carbonaceous diaper", it will absorb the water and slowly compost from the bottom up. A couple times a year you can scoop it out and use it as a great compost. Extra bonus: the woodchips will attract bugs, which your chickens can hunt. They'll also be healthier and happier to have dry ground to scratch.

Wow-I think your question and the photo of your chicken coop shows you may have a big problem! A google search showed many results. You really should consider trying one of them. It isn't okay in my opinion to have a coop where the chickens are always wet. Of course this is just by looking at the photo. I'm no expert but if your feet were always wet, wouldn't you always be cold? Just out of curiosity, how big is the pen? How many chickens do yo have? Do they have anyplace they can get dry and warm? Here are some results of my google search- https://www.google.com/search?q=how...ome..69i57.15095j1j7&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8
See if these might help! I noticed a rain gutter going right into the coop. Is there any way to redirect it? There are things called Rain Gutter Diverters that also might help.
https://www.homedepot.com/p/Stone-D...SbvSd0888oJKTX30PmhoCZ0sQAvD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds

Back
Top Bottom