How do I start to sell my eggs?

Young's_PBO_Farm

Hatching
10 Years
Oct 14, 2009
How should I start to sell my eggs? Any ideas? I have both Chicken and Guinea Eggs but am not sure on how to start selling them in my area.

Check out local farmers markets, add ads at feed stores, start giving away samples to friends/family/coworkers, sell hatching eggs on eBay and eggBid, put out a sign at the end of your driveway, set them up on a little stand like a fruit wagon,

My pullets haven't started laying yet, but until they do, I buy fresh eggs from people who advertise on craigslist. That might be a good place to start.

The other day, I was in a hurry and needed eggs for a recipe late at night and bought them at the grocery store. YUCK! Regular production eggs from the grocery store TOTALLY do NOT taste the same!

I had gastric bypass surgery a few years back, and for the 1st year after my surgery I couldn't eat eggs hardly at all. I still had problems with eggs and nausea until I started buying/eating the farm-fresh ones about a year ago. I no longer have "egg issues" unless we go out for breakfast or if I eat one of those nasty store-bought eggs with the pale sissy-yellow yolks.

I tell ya, farm-fresh eggs are 10 times better for you in more ways than I can count!

Anyway, try advertising your eggs craigslist. Might also want to look into local farmer's markets in your area and contact the people who administer them and see what you need to do to set up a booth at market, depending on how many eggs you have and what their requirements are for selling eggs.

Best wishes and let us know how it goes!

We put a sign "Fresh Eggs" at the end of our driveway and have many regular customers and a few drive-bys that stop in to buy eggs.

If we have a slow down in our sales, we hardboil the older eggs, mash them up and feed them back to the hens-they love 'em.
big_smile.png

Good luck!

when I posted pics of my chicks on my Facebook page I got half a dozen orders for eggs from my "friends". It's worth a try. Just hope they're still interested in October when they start to lay. BTW, in case you haven't noticed people are more interested in buying brown eggs from a backyard flock, apparently they associate white eggs with supermarket, caged chicken eggs.

A hint: Don't ever throw away an egg box and give your customers a discount for returning them. At one point we ran out and had to (gasp) buy some. Luckily I found out the gal at our transfer station collected empty egg boxes and she gave me 50 or so.

Last edited:
I started by telling everyone I knew we had organic, free-range eggs available. I had a few takers. Then people who got them spread the word. Now I can't provide as many eggs as people want. Not everyone is willing to pay a higher price than what they can get in the grocery store, but most who try them appreciate the difference and come back for more. Good Luck.

I advertise on Craigslist. I like to add pictures of my hens, to the ad, and also a picture of a bowl of the eggs....just so that no one is surprised to see a blue or green egg in their carton of eggs. I have a regular customer who buys 5 dozen every Weds. He saw my ad on Craigslist.

I also have some "Eggs for Sale" signs to put out by the road but so far this year I haven't needed to use them.

We live in a small town and we all tend to stick together so more people will look at signs at the grocery store, post office, etc. Put a sign at the end of your driveway as well and start local. Also this time of year is when you'll find all the local farm markets so check with them and see what it would take to peddle your eggs there. People shop there because they're looking for people like us. Ooo that reminds me that today is the farm market the next town over and I still need to ask myself about selling my eggs there.
cool.png

I sell most of my eggs at the apartment complex where my mother lives. It spread by word of mouth at first then her apartment manager actually put up a sign for her advertising my eggs and also asking for empty egg cartons. My mom buys them from me then resells them on her own time at the same price she buys them from me. I give her free eggs for her trouble. Basically they are 25 cents each and so most of the older folks can't eat a whole dozen so they either buy a half dozen or by the egg. They tell others how good they are and how they remember that same look and taste from when they were a child. With summer they eat less. They use them mainly in baking in the winter, but currently the person buying the most is the mailman. He buys 3 dozen every 2 weeks for him and his teenage son.

You never know how they'll sell and where, but I like to stay on the down-low myself. Word of mouth is stronger than any ad you'll put out. My mother's neighbors now refer to me as "The egg lady".
roll.png

Back
Top Bottom