How do I tame my killer rooster??

I'd tame him with an axe and invite him for dinner.

Some people have had success pinning them to the ground. I haven't tried. I would just refuse to keep a jerk.

I have 13 cockerels. All but one is destined for freezer camp. If number 13 is a jerk, he will join them.

The rooster that I have now has never tried to attack me. He is two years old. I did not try to turn him into a pet. He watches me, but shows no agression. He'll come running if he hears a hen squawk, but once he sees it's because I picked her up, stepped on her foot, or kicked her out of the bucket of feed I'm trying to carry, he goes back to minding his own business.

There are plenty of nice roosters. I see no reason to keep a mean one.
I'm with you, MissE!

My rooster Roxanne was very quiet until one day Mum came up to the barn with her sandals on - bare toes got peaked to pieces! I grabbed Roxxy and held him until he stopped fussing then put him down. when he started going after my feet I grabbed him, held him down and refused to let him up until he gave in. Took about 3 sessions and he got the message. Anytime he tried to lord it over anyone he got that treatment. He soon went back to being a well behaved bird.

Of course sometimes there is one that just needs to be put in the pot. We have a saying in the horse world: 'It costs just as much money to feed a good horse as it does a bad horse'.

The best thing to do with an aggressive rooster would be to butcher it. How old are your hens/pullets? If you really want a rooster, I would retry again with a new cockerel or chick in the future and pick a breed that would hopefully be less rude. Sometimes you need to go through a few cockerels until you find the right one. But being that so many cockerels go to the freezer, why not find the right one to live a nice life :)
With young kids that’s just something to consider.
My hen's aren't even 1 year old. He is now being "nicer" to me but still occasionally chasing me.

I had 3 cockerels, 2 have been culled. I kept my favorite one. He's about 4 months old. Always nice, let us pet him, gently take treats from my hand. One of my pullets started laying her first eggs last week and it all changed! I walked into the run to feed the chickens, with my 3 year old behind me, and he full body launched at my daughter. I hit him over the head with the food bowl and shuffled my daughter out of the run. He recovered from the hit and lunged at both of us and I hit him again. He tried following us out of the run door. Thank god I don't free range! I'm just waiting for my husband to cull him now. I loved that beautiful rooster (he's my profile pic!). But now he's a jerk and I can't have him around my family. Just hens for us from now on.

I bought an asil roosters a few weeks ago and he was pretty aggressive he would fly and attack me. He was previously used for cockfighting and thought about reselling him. I had a cousin take care of him because he would fight with my other rooster what I noticed is that spending time with the rooster calms him and also giving him time makes him better. I picked him up recently to feed him some food as he was hit pretty bad with pox and he was very calm and chill. No flying and no pecking. Also no spur attacking

My hen's aren't even 1 year old. He is now being "nicer" to me but still occasionally chasing me.
I hope it works out, nothing nicer than keeping your hard work. If not, than in the future trying a different kind of rooster/breed.

the rooster we decided to keep, never showed any kind of aggression to us. I never petted him or cuddled him. I did grab my hens and young pullets in front of him at a young age and all the time now. He runs away from me, if I try to get close to him. Our family of 4 can not catch him!

we kept him due to his personality, he doesn’t bother us or the small dogs. He is over 1 year old, there are some really nice roosters out there :)

Back
Top Bottom