How do you bring yourself to do the deed?

Take a deep breath, get a different mindset "I'm doing whats best for the bird, so it will not suffer", and end it. (whatever method you use, broomstick, knife, ax, ESF)

Quote:
Some don't ! I have chickens strictly for pets and could never raise any to butcher....so don't feel bad if you can't, Im not cut out for it, I get way to attached and know I could never get into that and that's ok, to each his own
smile.png

I have chickens that I raise as layers/pets. I definitely couldn't do the deed there.

I have my first flock of meaties this year. Doing the deed did not bother me. I don't know why. I processed three of them last Saturday morning before I had to stop and babysit my grandson for the rest of the day. My hubby was busy cleaning up some storm damage. I have always been in touch with the source of the food on the table. I don't see any problems with appreciating the life that eventually sustains you. I know that these birds were taken care of, fed, watered, allowed to free range (which they didn't seem to want to do as long as the feeder was full). Personally speaking, I will not raise meaties again. I will go with dual purpose birds the next time because their habits are much cleaner and their life more natural. I didn't have a problem doing the deed, but I may just have a problem actually eating them. Knowing that they only stand up to poo, then lay right back down in the poo to eat more feed is something that I just cannot get over in my mind. I am not a cold and callous person, so I don't know why it was just a chore that had to be done, but that is how I looked at it. I am raising meat rabbits too. They will be ready to be bred in June. I really don't think I will have a problem there either.

So many folks want to try raising meat birds for the first time but in their planning always & I mean always, fail to think about the end result and how to do it. I think it is important to get the mindset from the start before you even get them, if you at that time are going to struggle with that aspect don't raise them. It is so difficult to read how folks have struggled to get them raised and them come processing time suddenly find themselfs in a moral dilemma, this should be the first item to come to grips with, it will make the whole experience easier.

AL

Isn't cutting the heads off more humane than cutting their throats? Either way they bleed out, and beheading is quicker.
Just wondering? Not trying to insult anyone...

The deed for me is not entirely mindless and I don't think I would want it to be. I'm not comfortable with the kind of mindless slaughter that is done in processing plants which is part of why I do it myself so of course it is hard for me. I just remind myself that either I do it respectfully or I buy meat from another who will not. It took me three times of putting my first bird in a cone and then taking them back out to try another day. I did overcome that first time, but it is still hard to do. I nice deep breath before the cut helps.

Also it helps to raise up some extra roosters to learn with before investing in batches of broilers. It's easier to get over that first kill when it is a mean rooster.

Quote:
I dont know if this applies to other critters, but in reptiles studies have show that the brain can remain active for up to an hour after decapitation.... ewww:/

When the neighbors dog got my Black Star and left her dead on my front porch I nearly vomited when I opened the door. She is buried in the pasture now in a place I don't have to walk by every day. If you ever wanted to see a grown man cry that would have been your moment. Now I can't even imagine eating one of those beautiful birds. I have to change the channel if a commercial for KFC comes on. That's just me, though - I still eat fish - they don't have feelings.

Quote:
Removing the brain from the heart can interrupt a complete bleed out. Bleeding until dead and bleeding out are not always the same. Sometimes the heart will stop sooner than all the blood can get out. Blood will remain near the bone and can change the taste of the meat. Meat can also form bruising during processing if not bled completely. Have you ever gotten meat that is purple or black around the bone and you have to pick around it? Or get stringy black veins in the meat? If you eat it, it tastes metallic? If you don't mind it, no problem. If you are providing it for others and want a cleaner bird then cones and cutting necks might help prevent some of that.

Cutting necks is quicker for me. Put in cone, pull down wattle and one quick cut to the side of the neck. It is maybe 10 seconds. No holding and fighting while trying to axe the head off, then all that flapping that comes next. My birds are still and relaxed and just go to "sleep". Whatever works for each person is the best way.

Back
Top Bottom