How do you clean a chicken run?

GrandmaCluck

In the Brooder
10 Years
Jun 23, 2009
I have 31 chickens. Attached to the coop is a chicken run that is 30' x 50'. I live in sand country. Across the yard is a fallen jack pine that they love to roost on during the day. How do I go about cleaning this? I didn't notice much of a smell until we got rain and hot and humid weather. STINKY!!!

We have a small tiller and I just till up the ground and that gets rid of the smell pretty quickly. I'm doing new runs soon and they'll be all sand - you don't really need to clean except for once or twice a year.

With a rake and a shovel load it into a wheel borrow take it over to the compost pile and dump repeat if need to. That is how I clean mine. but if your looking for help with the smell try putting down some DE around and under the Run and tree it helps some.

Good luck to you

I'd also love some tips on this subject! We have a run that's about 2 inches of sand, and they've pooped tremendous amounts in it. I've tried raking it (doesn't work), and I've tried sifting it with a cat litter scooper and that doesn't work either. I want to keep it clean, but maybe I have the wrong kind of sand?

Any tips would be welcomed!!! Thanks guys!!!

Back
Top Bottom