How do you clean the feeders and waterers?

Waterer I just rinse out with water, haven't had need to scrub or anything else as I don't get any algae growth.

Feeder I usually just kinda shake it clean of fines. Only have had to wash it a couple of times, if a bird happens to poop on it. :p

Have you ever tried to put a couple ping pong balls in it the it vibrates the water every so often to stop from freezing and I also have a second water that is a warming water bowl
I did actually! I used a large rubber dog ball since I could find any smaller ones. I think it helped some. I do want to try the ping pong balls though, I think they would move around easier being lighter, and there would be more of them.

I clean with soap and water once a month or so, wipe it out if it gets scummy. ACV seems to help keep the algae to a minimum as does keeping the waterer in shade if its plastic. I have never used a metal waterer but I imagine you can just wipe it out often and use soap and water when it needs it. I scrub the feeder with soap and water if the food gets wet but like others have said it rarely needs it. I do have a scrap bowl (rubber) that gets a regular scrub because scraps are wet. I don't usually throw them on the ground but I think a lot of people do and that's fine too

Another trick for keeping the water from freezing is to keep a black rubber mat or the like under the waterer because the sun will warm that and ideally keep the water from freezing. The trick is keeping the snow off that haha
Awww, thats a good idea! I hope to have covered runs soon, so that keeps most of the snow off. I'm going to have to try that.

Tell me about it! We just had the longest cold winter in a long time. I had to do that for way longer than usual. :tongue
It was a cold winter! It’s still freezing here sometimes. That’s why I had Staburst take care of the waterers in the morning. :lau And sooo rainy. I keep waiting for it to finally dry out so I can ride in the outdoor arena... but it keep getting muddy. :barnie

On the topic of the thread, I use hot soapy water when I clean them... granted I should do it more often. :oops:

It was a cold winter! It’s still freezing here sometimes. That’s why I had Staburst take care of the waterers in the morning. :lau And sooo rainy. I keep waiting for it to finally dry out so I can ride in the outdoor arena... but it keep getting muddy. :barnie
I know! It keeps teasing us too. A few 70 degree days, then down to 30 degrees and snowing! :barnie

We're taking over the thread. :p Whoops.

One part Vinegar to two parts water will not effect your metal bowls when cleaning them. Just make sure to rinse them out after clean and wipe down well.
Vinegar of any kind is only toxic to birds if kept in a metal bowl soaking over a period of time -
Hope this helps

Back
Top Bottom