How do you de-lice a large area?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by klesoine, Jul 25, 2010.

1. klesoine

klesoine Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 11, 2009
    I have one hen who has a raw red featherless chest and belly with broken feathers. She's acting strangely and has been isolating herself. She's still eating well but is losing weight. I suspect she has some kind of blood sucking lice. I dusted her with pyrethin poultry dust about a month ago and a lot of lice fell off her. I did a follow up dusting a week later and there was no lice this time. I dusted her again this morning and no lice appeared. But something is very wrong and I suspect that it is some type of nocturnal feeder. I just got pour on ivermectin that I was going to de-worm all my chickens with. The other 10 older hens do not seem to be having health problems but I do notice some feather issues around their butts and they all free range so I'm sure they are vulnerable to internal parasites as well.

Here are my questions: how do you de-lice a large barn? Do I do a pyrethrum fogger? I have baby chicks and 7 week old chickens as well. I read about the walls and floors but it seems impossible to do the whole barn without using a LOT of poison.

Do you think there could be a problem other than parasites?
    Should I use the ivermectin pour on even though the hen is rather weak and I dusted her this morning? I'm concerned about using too much poison on her.

What should I do about the 7 week old chickens? They are not exhibiting any abnormal scratching like they have lice. The baby chicks are in a contained area and do not seem to be involved with lice yet.

This will be the second time I dewormed my flock. I dewormed them in the fall according to instructions from threehorses and think it's time to do it again. Thanks for any advice.

2. math ace

math ace Overrun With Chickens

Dec 17, 2009
    Jacksonville, FL
    Lice are on the BIRDS only - - no need to treat the surrounding area.

MITES are on the birds and surrounding area.

You must identify the problem BEFORE you can treat effectively.

Look closely at the vent area . . . I have Dh hold the chicken while I take a peek.
    Mites are dark specks - like pepper, lice are kinda cooked rice looking.

Do a goggle search under images and you will get a good idea of what you are looking for

3. mamaKate

mamaKate Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 9, 2008
    SE MO
    Topical ivermectin kills lice- mites not so much because they live off host. I would wait about adding more chemicals to a weak hen. Can you put her in a clean cage and maybe build her up with some supplements first? Could she have a skin infection maybe from moisture and the heat?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by