How do you deal with people who "expect" free eggs?

I sell my eggs way to cheaply and give a lot of them away as well. If someone asks me about eggs I tell them that all potential customers get a free dozen and after that they are 3.00 per dozen. Most folks continue to get eggs from me after the free dozen.

I have a very dear friend, before I had chickens that would from time to time very reverently hand me a half carton on eggs as if he was handing me a pot of gold. It was clear to me that this was a special gift and I always treated it as such. He did not want to sell eggs but it was clear that it was something special when he handed out a few.

I totally agree with everyone!! We don't have eggs yet, but when we do, my family comes 1st, then I have a few neighbor's who have been wonderful to us & who also go through rough times...One of them just lost her husband to brain cancer after 55 years of marriage & she has a daughter who is disabled...along with her other daughter's two children she's raising & 1 of those kids has a baby!! She's definitely high on my list of people I'm going to gladly give "free" eggs to.

However, a friend of mine comes over about once a week & stays half a day or so. She always gets in my cupboards & fridge & helps herself. Typically it doesn't bother me - she's a very generous person. She has hinted numerous times about how much she loves 'fresh farm eggs' since I received my chicks. I was just completely honest with her & told her I had other people I wanted to assist 1st & if there were any 'left-overs', I would gladly give her some. She offered to even take the Bantam eggs if that's all there was left.

Definitely let your co-worker know you are selling the 'extra' eggs for how ever much a dozen...and that you will give her a discount for the return of egg cartons.
smile.png
Don't be afraid to be assertive - your chickens, your eggs. Your roost, your rules.
big_smile.png

I have two wonderful neighbors; one who helps me out with my mower, plows up my garden, and gives me fresh veggies. I try to give them fresh eggs a couple times a month, at least. Another neighbor who is now a good friend, lets me ride her horses whenever I want to . That is a HUGE gift to me, as I haven't had my own horse in many,many years, and can't afford fencing for a while. I give her eggs whenever I have some available. I also have a good friend at work who constantly fills up our candy drawer, which I pillage regularly. I give her eggs,too. Bottom line, it's up to ME who I give my eggs to. The people who receive them are very appreciative, and never ask, unless they plan to pay. I have some 'customers' at work who gladly buy them from me, and they love them.
Chickens are hard work, and cost money to maintain. Do not feel bad asking for money for the fruits of your labor. YOU get to choose who gets free, and who has to pay.

i dont know if this was already said but....

if she gives you free legal services then you give her free eggs... plain and simple..

maybe she can set up some wills or estate planning

I have 1, count them ONE, hen. Have had 20 people at least ask when they can pick up eggs or if I could bring eggs to whatever meeting. When they heard I was hatching eggs this month they asked if that would give me more eggs by the end of the month because they want fresh eggs for holiday baking.

Only 2 people have offered to pay anything, namely because they know how much feed costs. Both of them understand how long its going to be before I get any eggs as well. They are #1 and 2 on the buyer list. My elderly neighbors on each corner from me are my freebie customers, they don't know it yet either. Other than that I refuse to talk eggs with people, I simply tell them no eggs until after easter and only if I get more than 10 hens and can't use the eggs laid during the week.

I haven't really come to this point yet. So far the only people I've given free eggs to is our family and a guy that works with my DH that gives us lots of free fruit - oranges, figs, lemons and as soon as he gets his bees he will give us honey.

I've had 1 person approach me and she has offered to pay for them - although I don't know how much. The minimum brown eggs go for here is $2.50 (and that's on sale) and for organic it's $4.50. I figure I'll give her the first one free (some of my pullet eggs are still pretty small) and then charge $2 - $2.50 a dozen.

ETA: I really don't have LOTS of leftovers though, even with 6 pullets. We usually eat eggs for dinner one night. Then the rest get used up with baking, making french toast for the kids, hard boiled and of course, egg salad sandwiches.

Last edited by a moderator:
OH MY, some city people know nothing about chickens!!
We now "pick" eggs at our farm because our new step-son wanted to go to the hen house to pick eggs like he got to pick veggies and berries.

We have 23 hens now laying after raising from February store bought chickies along with one I was able to hatch. Tonight I gathered a total of 21 eggs. Yesterday was 19. The girls are exceeding our fondest expectations.

The month of July the hens began to lay and the total for the month was 110 eggs.
August brought in a whopping 562 eggs
ep.gif

My hubby and I use about 18 a week and we have given away the rest of the eggs laid so far... MIL, SIL, S, Bs, DDs, nieces, nephews, neighbors...anyone with an egg carton.
So far, we've been offered money or feed and have refused both. BIL brings leaves for the coop and the girls are addicted to his watermelon rinds. Friends/neighbors have always shared from their gardens and we swap regularly.

We won't sell eggs from the homeplace because we don't want strangers coming to the door...we are both "retired".

That said, if I was still working, the eggs would be for sale at the going rate for our area for home grown brown eggs. I would gladly use any returned or saved cartons with a 25 cent break. Family and choice neighbors would get free eggs first.....46 dozen eggs in August....OH MY!

Back
Top Bottom