How do you deal with "the people from work"?

warhorse

Songster
11 Years
Jun 15, 2008
Cibolo, TX
I enjoy my chickens. It encroaches on obsession at times, but it keeps me honest. I keep my parents in eggs and give them to a few friends. When I have volumes, I give them to the VFW for thier monthly breakfasts. It's just what I do. But, when some people from work find out, they say "Oh, if you have so many eggs that you are need to get rid of them bring them to me." How brass is that? I tell them that I would be happy to sell them for $2-3 a dozen. They seem upset because I had already told them I give them to the VFW and I guess they assumed I should give them to them as well. "I can buy them inthe store cheaper than that. Why would you charge that much?" HELLO! I need some suggestions for "polite" responses.

May I suggest a serious look, pulling them aside into a conference room and saying in a low voice...

"Besides my family and my closest friends, I only give eggs away to charity, otherwise I sell them at fair market price. I really never thought of you as needing help; you come across as being so successful. Have you tried a food bank?"

yuckyuck.gif

You really don't owe these freeloaders an explanation. These chickens and eggs belong to you. Just a smile and good-natured, "sorry, I don't have any extra. I do have a waiting list of customers though" is sufficient, I think.

"High quality food bought in less than mega ton quanities cost substantially more than the lesser quality feed that is feed to massive egg producers. To have better eggs you need to feed better quality feed as I do." That statement usually shuts up most and isn't argumentative.

Quote:
Seconded!! ........ well said Opa....this was another reason for starting my egg delivery business.... everyone thought they where fantastic and wanted them for free becausse they where "proper" eggs..... I started the business and now everyone pays.....

My girls haven't been laying consistantly until just recently. All winter I gave away half dozens to coworkers to drum up future business. Well, now that we are laying proper no one wants to pay for them. I even asked the lot of them what they thought I should charge and I'm charging that price. No one wants to pay. I'll be darned if I give anymore away to my coworkers. I'll feed them to the dogs first!

Back
Top Bottom