How do you deal with "the people from work"?

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by warhorse, Mar 1, 2009.

1. warhorse

warhorse Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 15, 2008
    Cibolo, TX
    I enjoy my chickens. It encroaches on obsession at times, but it keeps me honest. I keep my parents in eggs and give them to a few friends. When I have volumes, I give them to the VFW for thier monthly breakfasts. It's just what I do. But, when some people from work find out, they say "Oh, if you have so many eggs that you are need to get rid of them bring them to me." How brass is that? I tell them that I would be happy to sell them for $2-3 a dozen. They seem upset because I had already told them I give them to the VFW and I guess they assumed I should give them to them as well. "I can buy them inthe store cheaper than that. Why would you charge that much?" HELLO! I need some suggestions for "polite" responses.

2. Katy

Katy Flock Mistress

Just tell them fresh eggs are more expensive than the several week old ones the store sells.

3. Squeaky

Squeaky I squeak, therefore I am

Jul 5, 2008
    Albuquerque, NM
    May I suggest a serious look, pulling them aside into a conference room and saying in a low voice...

"Besides my family and my closest friends, I only give eggs away to charity, otherwise I sell them at fair market price. I really never thought of you as needing help; you come across as being so successful. Have you tried a food bank?"

4. warhorse

warhorse Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 15, 2008
    Cibolo, TX
    [​IMG]

5. country lady

country lady Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 8, 2008
    NW Tennessee
    You really don't owe these freeloaders an explanation. These chickens and eggs belong to you. Just a smile and good-natured, "sorry, I don't have any extra. I do have a waiting list of customers though" is sufficient, I think.

6. Opa

Opa Opa-wan Chickenobi

May 11, 2008
    Howell Michigan
    "High quality food bought in less than mega ton quanities cost substantially more than the lesser quality feed that is feed to massive egg producers. To have better eggs you need to feed better quality feed as I do." That statement usually shuts up most and isn't argumentative.

7. English Chick

English Chick English Mum

Jun 27, 2008
    Cheshire UK
    Quote:Seconded!! ........ well said Opa....this was another reason for starting my egg delivery business.... everyone thought they where fantastic and wanted them for free becausse they where "proper" eggs..... I started the business and now everyone pays.....

8. DK

DK Out Of The Brooder

Dec 30, 2008
    Bangor Alabama
    Just tell them if you want fresh eggs to go buy some chicken.DK

9. CityGirlintheCountry

CityGirlintheCountry Green Eggs and Hamlet

Jul 7, 2007
    Middle TN
    My girls haven't been laying consistantly until just recently. All winter I gave away half dozens to coworkers to drum up future business. Well, now that we are laying proper no one wants to pay for them. I even asked the lot of them what they thought I should charge and I'm charging that price. No one wants to pay. I'll be darned if I give anymore away to my coworkers. I'll feed them to the dogs first!

10. English Chick

English Chick English Mum

Jun 27, 2008
    Cheshire UK
    Quote:Don't give any more freebies...... wait and they will start to ask for your eggs, then charge them accordingly.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by