How do you get pics of iridescence?

joneus

Songster
8 Years
Apr 2, 2011
Ballston Spa
the sun was shining *just* right on my "black" EE, Bowling Ball, today & I swear she has purple stripes going across her green iridescent feathers. At first I thought it was a trick of the light, but they were on every single feather on her back & wings. I moved individual feathers around to be sure- the stripes didnt move or disappear they way they would if it was just the light.

I'm not much of a photographer, but- how do you get a picture of that? Its really cool!

Exactly as you see it
wink.png

Get the bird in some light, but make sure the light (preferably sun
wink.png
is at a high angle/elevation otherwise you'll get more white sheen than iridescence. Make sure your camera gets good color too because a camera's ability to capture high quality, high spectrum color is a must.

Thanks!!

Okay... the sky has clouded over, but most of the stripes are still visible, so I took some pics with the macro setting and a soft flash. I couldnt get a good shot of the total effect, but these should give you the idea:

IMGP2650.jpg
IMGP2653.jpg
IMGP2649.jpg
IMGP2660.jpg

I knew she had some purple iridescent feathers, but hadn't noticed the stripes before.

*giggle* I have a stripey Bowling Ball... or rather, a "marble colored Bowling Ball."

Chickens are cool!

That's a Wheaten color you see in the background.

The best to do is photograph her whole body, like the last photo, but on a sunny day in the summer or late spring.

Quote:
Thanks! Thats Brittany Louise!

Quote:
Will I be able to get a clear photo of something so subtle from a distance? I only saw it this morning because the sun was just right and she was literally standing on my feet. The pics I posted were taken in my kitchen while I was holding her under one arm. (<--ETA)

I guess I'll have to add: "chasing my chickens around with a camera on a sunny day" to my list of hobbies.
lol.png
This could be a fun adventure!

Last edited:
I just love black birds, the sheen on their feathers is amazing! You're EE is beautiful. Here's a picture of my big, black Cochin boy standing in the sun looking gorgeous...
86165_121311102525.jpg

I love black critters precisely for their iridescence.

Do you have Photoshop? You could try applying a HDR filter (high dynamic range) to your picture. It'll (should!) bring out some of the subtleties (sp?) of the iridescence.

Back
Top Bottom