How Do You Live off Your Passion for Chickens?

Henrik Petersson

Crowing
11 Years
Jan 9, 2009
Karlskrona, Sweden
In other words, how do I make a lot of money off my passion for chickens?

"Start a chicken farm" is perhaps the most obvious answer, but the joy of chickens will probably disappear with a soulless chicken-farm with thousands of birds.

Do I sell eggs? Breed breeds? Start a consultant business and travel around in a van with the logo printed on the side and tell people how to take care of chickens and charge thousands of dollars for it?

In other words, how do I make a lot of money off my passion for chickens?

"Start a chicken farm" is perhaps the most obvious answer, but the joy of chickens will probably disappear with a soulless chicken-farm with thousands of birds.

Do I sell eggs? Breed breeds? Start a consultant business and travel around in a van with the logo printed on the side and tell people how to take care of chickens and charge thousands of dollars for it?
You could write a book. That might give you some revenue. You can self publish audio books on the internet and everytime they are downloaded the site will send you a check. You could sell eggs and compost as well. Chicken poop is in a lot of fertilizers. You could sell feathers or stuff made from feathers. The possibilities could be endless it just matters if youre business minded. I wouldnt bet on your birds as a "get rich quick scheme" though

Writing is, besides chicken keeping, the only thing i love to do. So writing a book sounds smart. Or a hell of a lot of books.

I'm not looking for a get-rich-quickly-scheme, I'm looking for a not-starve-to-death-scheme. I currently have no job, education or job options, so I'm starting to think about whether I can do something with the love for chickens.

Writing is, besides chicken keeping, the only thing i love to do. So writing a book sounds smart. Or a hell of a lot of books.

I'm not looking for a get-rich-quickly-scheme, I'm looking for a not-starve-to-death-scheme. I currently have no job, education or job options, so I'm starting to think about whether I can do something with the love for chickens.
Mcdonalds is always hiring:old

The sad reality is that you cannot make a living solely from chickens. The only exceptions are laying and meat bird factories and large scale hatcheries. You may be able to make a nice amount of money if you had a large flock of chickens and you sold their eggs. You would need to able to free range them so that you wouldn’t have to buy feed. The trouble would be in the winter when you wouldn’t be able to free range them. You would also need to have a large clientele that would be buying eggs from you on a consistent basis.

The sad reality is that you cannot make a living solely from chickens. The only exceptions are laying and meat bird factories and large scale hatcheries. You may be able to make a nice amount of money if you had a large flock of chickens and you sold their eggs. You would need to able to free range them so that you wouldn’t have to buy feed. The trouble would be in the winter when you wouldn’t be able to free range them. You would also need to have a large clientele that would be buying eggs from you on a consistent basis.

Gosh darnit. Why couldn't I get bitten by a passion that you can make money off? My brother loves machines, now he works in a machine room... My sister loves to draw, she can make money off of that... But noo, poor Henrik had to be smitten by chickens.

It ain't fair, god dammit. It ain't fair.

Gosh darnit. Why couldn't I get bitten by a passion that you can make money off? My brother loves machine, now he works in a machine room... My sister loves to draw, she can make money off of that... But noo, poor Henrik had to be smitten by chickens.

It ain't fair, god dammit. It ain't fair.
I too would love to be able to raise chickens and make enough money to support myself. Unfortunately it won’t be possible, but that won’t stop me from raising chickens when I have my own property.
Yeah life isn’t fair. I learned that the hard way. See if you could work at a farm as a farm hand or maybe sell extra eggs and see if you can build from there.
Best of Luck Henrik :hugs

Back
Top Bottom