How do YOU store your eggs?

So, about egg storage. I gather eggs daily and stick them in the fridge. Once a week I wash them. I don't just rinse them. I fill up a sink with warm water, a spot of Dawn dish soap and a "splurp" of Clorox bleach. I put a dozen eggs in my egg basket, and quickly dunk them in the soapy water. Then I rinse them under running water, wiping any actually dirty ones with a paper towel. I lay them out on a clean white dish towel and let them air dry, then put them in cartons to sell the next day. Some of them I retain for my family's use. But I only wash them just before sale. Shrug, I don't know why, that's just the way it works best for me. So they are refrigerated right from the beginning. I wash them because I don't trust the customers to do it right and I don't want anybody getting sick from my eggs and blaming me.
We keep the dirty ones for ourselves and sell the clean ones. Muddy days I get lots of eggs, dry days I may not get any :( We have a very loyal customer base and not enough eggs to provide anymore people. They all know the eggs are not washed and they 100% dont want them washed 1/2 of them dont like that I refrigerate them but the eggs are good enough they suck it up.

I was just looking around on the internet and found this:

"Depending on where you live, farm fresh eggs with their bloom intact can be kept at room temperature on your countertop for up to 3 weeks providing that temperatures are not too hot.
After three weeks your farm fresh eggs should be refrigerated and can be kept in this environment for around 3 months."
https://www.chickensandmore.com/how-to-store-fresh-eggs/

and this:

Freshly laid eggs can be left out at room temperature for at least a month before your need to start thinking about moving them into the fridge. We like to make sure we eat ours in under two weeks (because they tend to taste better), but so long as the egg is eaten within one month of it being laid, you will be fine.
https://www.thehappychickencoop.com/how-to-store-your-chickens-freshly-laid-eggs/

and this from this forum:

Freshly laid eggs will be quite fine sitting out on the kitchen counter for up to a month, depending on the temperature in your kitchen, but after two weeks the quality will have dropped noticeably. For longer storage and for washed eggs, storage in a cool place, like the fridge, is recommended. Eggs will stay fresher even longer in the fridge if stored in egg cartons, which will minimize moisture loss through their porous shells.
https://www.backyardchickens.com/articles/cleaning-and-storing-fresh-eggs.66816/

I don't know the "official" right answer. I sell or giveaway excess eggs, so I doubt any of mine last long enough to go bad during the summer. But in the "off seasons," I have no concerns about eating eggs that have been unwashed, in plastic cartons, sitting out on the counter for two or three weeks.

I don't know the "official" right answer. I sell or giveaway excess eggs, so I doubt any of mine last long enough to go bad during the summer. But in the "off seasons," I have no concerns about eating eggs that have been unwashed, in plastic cartons, sitting out on the counter for two or three weeks.

It's all brand new to me. I am guessing there isn't one right answer. People have different ideas of what's safe when it comes to food. Some won't touch something that has reached the printed expiration date. Some will use it after, and some waay after. :p

Seeing some say they go 2 or even 3 (+) weeks with fresh eggs helps give me a ballpark. Thanks!

My sister and brother-in-law own a grocery store, and I have benefitted greatly over the years from being given an array of foodstuffs that have passed the printed expiration date but are still perfectly safe to eat. Maybe that's why I'm a bit fearless about eating "old" eggs.

However, if they look "off" when I crack them open or have the least bit of a weird smell, I throw out those eggs.

Clean, but unwashed eggs on a counter that is in a room that is not hot can be fine for a couple months. I know this from experience from when extras were left out. Our current method with eggs for our own consumption is in a skeltor on the counter used unwashed. I normally put my extra eggs in the fridge if there is room, That way an undetected cracked egg or dirty egg doesn't go bad before I check them over more carefully. The eggs in the fridge come out when we have a request from someone who wants to buy some. Then I wash just before delivery. I also candle eggs before sale. Candling makes it easier to spot cracks or if a hen sat on the egg to long. It would also show if a egg has gone bad.

I don't wash my eggs. Maybe 1 egg out of several dozen will have a smidge of poop on it, which I'll wash off before consuming. I use a wax pencil to write the month and day of lay and include the name of who laid it if I know. Then, in the fridge they go. I don't sell eggs, I give em away to family and random people.

Back
Top Bottom