How does shredded newspaper work for baby chick litter?

not right away. use paper towel for the first couple of days so they don't slip around and get hurt. then about the fourth or fifth day, you can use it. that's what my grandparents do. the only spot i use newspaper for my babies is for floor cover. otherwise i have wood shavings down. newspaper doesn't really soak up the mess. the poo just sits there. for me, i wouldn't do it.

Keene's coop :

not right away. use paper towel for the first couple of days so they don't slip around and get hurt. then about the fourth or fifth day, you can use it. that's what my grandparents do. the only spot i use newspaper for my babies is for floor cover. otherwise i have wood shavings down. newspaper doesn't really soak up the mess. the poo just sits there. for me, i wouldn't do it.

Keenes coop, I did say "SHREDDED" newspaper, did you get that?​

I have tried shredded newspaper. It's not very absorbent and the chicks turned black from the ink rubbing off. It's also slick and can lead to spraddle leg. Even shredded.

I now use 10 layers of heavy paper towels on top of wood chips, removing 2 layers of paper towel each day. By the time the paper towels are gone they are steady on their feet and know not to eat the wood chips.

Last edited:
Just say no to newspaper. Its dirty and the colored pages have inks full of chemicals. Better to stick to white papertowels or pine.

I use paper towels for the first few days and then this year I am using wood pellets for their bedding. I have had 4 overlapping and successive batches in my kitchen brooder this spring and have had zero odor
yippiechickie.gif
bun.gif
woot.gif
. I had a real problem with odor using pine shavings in previous years and had to change bedding every couple of days. I bought the wood pellets at the farm and garden store and the price is really low. Good luck with your chicks
jumpy.gif
jumpy.gif
jumpy.gif

Back
Top Bottom