How early does a cockerel start mating behaviors?

Party_Chicken

Crowing
Feb 1, 2023
Anywhere with chickens
My Coop
My Coop
How early will a cockerel start mating behaviors? I think I just saw my ten week old cockerel tibiting from an EE pullet. He hasn’t crowed and is very skittish. He held up a little bug and brought it over to the EE and did a little shaky dance and then the pullet grabbed it and ate it. He as this tibiting? (The cockerel and pullet this exchange happened between)
75A5EC0B-DAE3-4482-AC81-1ED1A79C3618.jpeg
3876C1E6-D4A8-44C6-8D86-87EA3A04E074.jpeg

How old is he? It all depends on the breed and the bird itself, but for your "normal" breeds I'd say it's between 5-7 months

Tidbitting and the so-called "rooster dance" can be observed from a young age, and as far as the tidbitting goes, it's not even male-specific. That being said, mounting at an early age should not be confused with mating. Mounting at this age is simply for dominance, not reproduction

My RIR started around 13 weeks. They're about 14 weeks now (he and his female flockmates). A couple weeks after integrating them with two 18 month old female BRs. He still hasn't crowed yet, though.

He held up a little bug and brought it over to the EE and did a little shaky dance and then the pullet grabbed it and ate it. He as this tibiting?

That's adorable!

A very good sign for a possible keeper.

I had one cockerel being permitted to mate with willing hens at about 16 weeks (and a lot of them trying but being refused), and one of a late maturing breed not figuring it out until about 6-7 months.

That's adorable!

A very good sign for a possible keeper.

I had one cockerel being permitted to mate with willing hens at about 16 weeks (and a lot of them trying but being refused), and one of a late maturing breed not figuring it out until about 6-7 months.
I am definitely keeping him. He is very respectful to the hens and keeps his chicks away from the dogs or other things he perceives as a threat (not me thankfully). The other day I saw him sitting in front of his pullets while they dust bathed as if he was protecting them. He seems like he will be a very good protector. My old roo flew out of our yard when a fox came. One of the many reasons he went away. I am already seeing such different behaviors in my old roo compared to Cornelius. He is just the best boy. He has a brother that we aren’t keeping that hasn’t figured anything out yet.

I am definitely keeping him. He is very respectful to the hens and keeps his chicks away from the dogs or other things he perceives as a threat (not me thankfully). The other day I saw him sitting in front of his pullets while they dust bathed as if he was protecting them. He seems like he will be a very good protector. My old roo flew out of our yard when a fox came. One of the many reasons he went away. I am already seeing such different behaviors in my old roo compared to Cornelius. He is just the best boy. He has a brother that we aren’t keeping that hasn’t figured anything out yet.

That's lovely!

I knew that my first rooster on this property, Ludwig the Black Langshan, was going to be a good flockmaster when he was only about 5 months old and sat down next to the integration pen to "babysit" the chicks I'd added to my flock.

I didn't see it personally because I was at work, but my son told me that those chicks made their first trip out into the run under the watchful eye of their "Big Brother".

Back
Top Bottom