How early to give treats?

the lemon tree

Songster
10 Years
May 12, 2009
Hello Everyone!

I am new to this chicken thing but am totally excited about my new hobby! Now I just have a questiont that I'm hoping some of you can give me some insights on-I just got 2 Ameraucanas, 1 Red Sex-link, and 1 Barred Rock two days ago (I think they're about 5-7 days old). They are all thriving in their new, though homemade, brooder and I was wondering how early I can start giving them treats like fresh veggies, fruit, cottage cheese, and yogurt. I was too tempted and gave them some fresh corn the other day and they LOVED it! Yesterday I gave them a dab of yogurt and it took them some time to take to it but towards the end they were fighting to get to it. Any ideas about this? I certainly don't want to harm their health, especially in the crucial few weeks of their lives.

Thanks and I am so excited to be here!

You can buy "chick grit" (smaller than regular grit) which is critical if they are not able to access something like this on their own (if on dirt,etc,with access to small stones and sand). They can't digest those treats otherwise and this can have fatal results. Not needed with just chick starter, though. I ordered some from McMurray, but some feed stores may carry it (TSC is a feed store - Tractor Supply something. Cute adds in horse magazines. I don't think we have one around here.)

Okay, so as long as I offer grit (which I am-I mix it into their starter feed), it's okay for me to start feeding them "treats" at just a few days old?

Thanks for your help!

I only offer treats about once a week but I know others do it more frequently. I've given scrambled eggs, spaghetti noodles, grapes. They were super funny with the noodles, I've never heard such a commotion from such little things before!!
yippiechickie.gif

They say that about 90%-95% of their diet needs to be the chick starter. I figure I'm safe if I limit the amount. Live culture yogurt is a great treat as it gives them some good intestinal flora. I gave treats daily starting at a few days. Mine love cheese that has been shredded into little strands, too; probably a bit fatty and salty, but at least it's good protein.

Some on here never give treats. Not a bad idea. To each his own.

mine won't eat anything but their chick starter... hmmm. I've tried brocolli, romaine lettuce, and apple... nope. won't touch it! weird!

Back
Top Bottom