How early?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by kizza07, Dec 29, 2007.

1. kizza07

kizza07 Out Of The Brooder

Dec 28, 2007
    How early can you candle eggs? The eggs are from mixed breeds. I think mainly rhode island reds!
    I heard that you do it before you put them in, so I did, but it didnt work. I couldnt see anything!
    I don't even know how to candle anyways, it was just out of interest!

I have actually read heaps on candling, but i still cant manage to do it!

2. hypnofrogstevie

hypnofrogstevie chick magnet

Jul 12, 2007
    Newton NJ
    light brown eggs is 7 days. I never had white eggs so I dont know about them

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 29, 2007
  3. silkiechicken

silkiechicken Staff PhD Premium Member

If you use a high power light source, meaning not your 1.99 home depot special, you can candle at about 3 days and see an embryo in both white and brown eggs. For beginners without a high power flashlight though, I recommend candling on day 10 as by then you will for sure see a dark spot in the egg, which is the embryo. The reason for candling before you incubate is to rid of eggs with cracks or porous shells.

4. hypnofrogstevie

Jul 12, 2007
    Newton NJ
    Sorry if I am jacking your thread "sound a lil dirty dont it lol" but what would you see on day 16?

5. silkiechicken

[​IMG]

This is day 12. Day 16 will look similar, except the chick will be a little bit bigger. At day 16 you can still clearly see veins around the edges. Expect the chick to be a bout 10% larger than what you see in on Day 12, but it depends on how the chick is positioned.

6. hypnofrogstevie

Jul 12, 2007
    Newton NJ
    Thank you! I got to get my maglight out now and I can tell what I got. Thank you x 100

7. silkiechicken

Don't candle them too much now. Less hands on the better hatches they are! You don't want to love them to death now!

8. hypnofrogstevie

Jul 12, 2007
    Newton NJ
    I only did one egg I pwomise lol

9. kizza07

kizza07 Out Of The Brooder

Dec 28, 2007
    ooh thank you!! That is really helpful!! Great shot too!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by