How hard is it really to incubate eggs?

Could someone on here give me a step by step guide on how to use my octagon 20 advance? I read the instructions it came with, but I don't quite understand all of it. It doesn't show the humidity, so is there a special way to check it? And do I manually need to turn the eggs every 24 hours?
The best one I know of to talk to about the Brinseas is @Yorkshire coop I know @scflock also uses a brinsea, not sure which one though.

Could someone on here give me a step by step guide on how to use my octagon 20 advance? I read the instructions it came with, but I don't quite understand all of it. It doesn't show the humidity, so is there a special way to check it? And do I manually need to turn the eggs every 24 hours?
Do you have the 20 Advance, or the 20 Eco? The Advance shows temp and humidity, the Eco doesn't. Both are calibrated at the factory and from what I have read are usually very close. I had to raise my temps by 0.5 degrees after 2 delayed hatches. If you have an Advance with a turning cradle, fill one water channel, load the eggs between the dividers, then set the tray into the incubator and set the incubator on the cradle. It's a very simple incubator to use, and requires very little babysitting. I do recommend getting a second thermometer/hygrometer to double check temps and humidity. If you have the Eco model, then you definitely need to do that.
If you do have the Eco, loading it is the same as above. You will have to turn manually, but that's why the Octagon is shaped like it is. You don't have to turn the eggs individually, you turn the entire incubator back and forth on the flat edges 2 or three times a day.
Both have an air vent on the front that is used to control humidity. To raise humidity close the vent, to lower humidity open the vent. Never close it more than 1/4 open, the eggs and chicks need the air flow. That should get you started. Feel free to ask more questions. We Brinsea users love talking about them
wink.png

Do you have the 20 Advance, or the 20 Eco? The Advance shows temp and humidity, the Eco doesn't. Both are calibrated at the factory and from what I have read are usually very close. I had to raise my temps by 0.5 degrees after 2 delayed hatches. If you have an Advance with a turning cradle, fill one water channel, load the eggs between the dividers, then set the tray into the incubator and set the incubator on the cradle. It's a very simple incubator to use, and requires very little babysitting. I do recommend getting a second thermometer/hygrometer to double check temps and humidity. If you have the Eco model, then you definitely need to do that.
If you do have the Eco, loading it is the same as above. You will have to turn manually, but that's why the Octagon is shaped like it is. You don't have to turn the eggs individually, you turn the entire incubator back and forth on the flat edges 2 or three times a day.
Both have an air vent on the front that is used to control humidity. To raise humidity close the vent, to lower humidity open the vent. Never close it more than 1/4 open, the eggs and chicks need the air flow. That should get you started. Feel free to ask more questions. We Brinsea users love talking about them;)

Thanks everybody for your help. It is the ECO which I realized after looking at pictures of them. I ordered a humidity and temperature thermometer and they should be here in two days. If I plug up my bator tomorrow, can I put the eggs in Thursday and then when the thermometer gets here put it in then? Or should I wait to or the eggs in till I have the meter and know the temp?

Thanks everybody for your help. It is the ECO which I realized after looking at pictures of them. I ordered a humidity and temperature thermometer and they should be here in two days. If I plug up my bator tomorrow, can I put the eggs in Thursday and then when the thermometer gets here put it in then? Or should I wait to or the eggs in till I have the meter and know the temp?
Here is a great thread just for your incubator
https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/579490/the-brinsea-octagon-20-eco-thread-hatches-etc-pics

maybe 20 chicken eggs a yesr and maybe 10 turkey eggs a year
I have found that the kebonnixs 12 egg incubator especially if in a place where the temp is not a big deal but pretty reliable anyway. Have had good success rates with chickens ducks and even peafoul. They seem to hold good temps and humidity although in the last 3 days it's a little tough to keep humidity up. But a couple pieces of wet sponge and your set. They really hatch good though. But only hold 12 so maybe look into it.

Back
Top Bottom